A lowland Broch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 30 Aug 2019

I only discovered this week that we have a Broch near Stirling! Am I the only one who never noticed this before?

I always thought brochs were a thing of the north west. How nice to have exciting finds on your doorstep

skog 30 Aug 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Tappoch? Aye, a bit hidden and worth a visit, we were only there a year or two ago, I hadn't heard of it before that.

Have you been to Rough Castle Roman fort, near the Falkirk Wheel? It's also worth a look on a day you can't get further afield. It's on the Antonine Wall, although the wall itself is really just a slope around there.

OP girlymonkey 30 Aug 2019
In reply to skog:

Yes, Tappoch. And then there is the blue pool and the castle too. Great wee run to see some local interesting features.

No, not been to the roughcastle fort either, another one to explore!

In reply to skog:

Just found this

http://www.stravaiging.com/history/ancient/type/broch

Turns out, there are a few more to explore yet!

skog 30 Aug 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

More than I thought - and that map can't even be exhaustive, I can't see Glen Elg on it, or a couple on Orkney Mainland.

Post edited at 22:44
In reply to skog:

And the mother of all brochs is missing too- Mousa in Shetland...

https://images.app.goo.gl/QUDg9EENmqjdnAUR9

In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

That one is incredible!

nathan79 30 Aug 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

There's the remains of one tucked away in Fife too. I never gotten around to visiting it but I've been meaning to for years.

In reply to nathan79:

Where's that?!

skog 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

https://canmore.org.uk/site/33005/drumcarrow-craig

(I wasn't aware of it before now, I just googled for it.)

((It also turns out that Fife has a town called Ceres, which is kind of cool!))

JCurrie 31 Aug 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

If you’re into ancient monuments I’m guessing you have visited Cairnpapple above Bathgate.

I only learned about it a couple of years ago when visiting a uni chum. Despite some reconstruction I was amazed that it was there.

Jason

Removed User 31 Aug 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

We have the splendid Triefour Broch on Lismore. Always enjoyed seeking ancient monuments out.

In reply to skog:

Cool, thanks

aln 31 Aug 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I haven't been able to find the blue pool. How do you get there?

OP girlymonkey 31 Aug 2019
In reply to aln:

The grid ref is NS829839. If you take the main track up from the glen road, pass the castle and keep going up the hill for a few hundred meters there is a gate on the left. The path goes along the edge of the woodland. You are looking for a fire break with pylons in it. Turn down the slightly boggy path which follows this break and it's along there. It's marked on Google maps if you are unsure, but the paths aren't.

OP girlymonkey 31 Aug 2019
In reply to JCurrie:

I have been, but not since I was a teenager so I didnt really appreciate it. I should go again

nathan79 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

That is a good question. I thought I had it pinned on my Viewranger maps bit I don't. I'll have to dig out a book.

Edit

South of Strathkinness NO 4592 1320

Post edited at 17:16
In reply to girlymonkey:

> That one is incredible!

It’s on bbc2 right now! ‘Wild Shetland’ - storm petrels apparently live in it...

digby 01 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Even more south - the magnificent Edin's Hall broch, near Abbey St Bathans https://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=719721068

ring ouzel 01 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I had no idea it was called the Tappoch broch. Everybody in Plean called it the Torwood Broch. Used to go up there regularly when I was a wee boy. There is some bouldering on the sandstone lower down on the Torwood side (not much bouldering, its not Stanage!). Haven't been up that way in years. Next time I'm back in Plean I might take a wander up.

OP girlymonkey 01 Sep 2019
In reply to ring ouzel:

It even has shiney new signposts saying Tappoch Broch now! 

ring ouzel 01 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Och they're just spoiling you now!  

aln 02 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thanks! There's also a chambered cairn somewhere in the trees above Torwood.

OP girlymonkey 02 Sep 2019
In reply to aln:

Ooh, not found that one yet. Will keep an eye out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...