3 or 4 day bothy link-up in Scotland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 16 Sep 2020

Eyup

Myself and a couple of mates are planning on a Scotland walk during the last weekend of November, ideally we are wanting a circular walkthat lasts 3 or 4 days - utilising either botthy's (preferred option) or wild camps (Brrr).

Anyone in this group know of such a route?

I'm also aiming to bag some WQMDs so navigation isn't too much of an issue. We are all competent at winter walking (2 of us have also enjoyed many winter climbs in the Nevis and Cairngorm regions.

I'm not sure what the weather will be, after all it could be just about anything as it's so early in the Winter season.

TIA TtB

J101 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Tony the Blade:

All of the MBA bothies are closed still so it'll likely have to be winter camping.

Fisherfield is the obvious area and you could walk in via An Tellach? 

Or there's plenty of space around Torridon for a few days out.

DaveHK 16 Sep 2020

All MBA bothies are officially closed, some are locked but others are still open for emergency use. I can't see that changing by November so you'd be using any unlocked ones against the wishes of the estates and the MBA. That might not bother you and I'm not judging but I also wouldn't be relying on finding any given bothy open unless I had very up to date info.

Post edited at 20:40
In reply to J101:

Yeah, I was aware that the MBAs are closed, they still make good wind shelters for your tent if they're still closed

Thanks for the 2 suggestions, I'll take a look.

Post edited at 20:40
In reply to DaveHK:

I'm not one for breaking the rules, if they're still closed then I won't attempt to use them.

Dr.S at work 16 Sep 2020

I know you said circular - but how about train to Dalwhinnie and walk to Rannoch or Corrour?

or 

Blair Athol to aviemore 

loads of great options route wise, less Bothy options on the first one, more on the later.

skog 16 Sep 2020

There are good options in the Glenfinnan/Rough Bounds of Knoydart area - starting and finishing at Glenfinnan (or at Kinloch Hourn)

e.g. Glen Finnan to Glen Dessary to Loch Nevis to Loch Morar to Glen Pean to Glen Finnan.

There are several bothies on the way, and several more a little further afield, and while as said they'll mostly or all be closed, most have areas near them you could camp.

Just watch the burn crossings if it's wet. Although, it'll be generally miserable if it's wet, anyway!

ogreville 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> I know you said circular - but how about train to Dalwhinnie and walk to Rannoch or Corrour?

This route has always appealed to me. Has been on my hit-list for a while.

In a similar vein, how about Train to Corrour, up through Lairig Leacach to camp at the bothy and take in Stob Ban etc, then back down to Loch Treigh and heading West to Glen Nevis. Three bothies and plenty of camp spots along the route. Also plenty of Munro options along the way too. Good camping at the pine trees/ruins at Loch Treighead.

Dr.S at work 17 Sep 2020
In reply to ogreville:

The space between Dalwhinnie and Rannoch is really magnificent - last May I walked from Dalwhinnie up the fantastic Dirc Mhor, then looped backwards and forwards taking in all of the munros south of the A86 until I got to Rannoch - a great four day walk.

The Tunnocks tea cake and cuppa at the station was pretty welcome at the end!

AukWalk 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Not to rain on a parade too much but worth bearing in mind that public transport may be back to 'essential only' by then (believe it's currently at 'consider your journey necessary').

Anyway, enjoying thinking about trips round Scotland myself when I next get the chance. 

Dr.S at work 19 Sep 2020
In reply to AukWalk:

Oh of course, I’ve written this year off now for a big Scotland trip sadly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...