3/4 Day Hiking Suggestion April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
RG 10 Feb 2019

Hi

Looking for suggestions on 3/4 day hike located in UK suitable at the end of April.

I've got lots of multiday hiking experience from New Zealand. Although no alpine experience (crampons ice axes etc)

Camping or huts- don't mind.

Looked at West Highland Way and I'm concerned too much of the trail is not remote. I.e by roads etc. Is this a fair assessment?

Please post any suggestions.

Cheers 

Trangia 10 Feb 2019
In reply to RG:

If you want to be remote (in UK terms) I'd recommend Knoydart.  Check with the Knoydart Estate first to ensure that there is no stalking - I don't think there is in April, but you should notify them out of courtesy. Get a fishing boat (ferry) from Malaig (Railhead from Fort William) to Inverei. 

It's very mountainous. From there you can work out a number of routes to suit your ability, fitness and time table including walking out to the railway line and station at Glenfinnan.

You have the options of camping or using bothies. It is a magical and truly remote wilderness. NB There is no continuous "trail" per se, although in places you can follow sections of land rover tracks. Elsewhere there are few defined tracks on the ground and you need to be good at map reading and navigation. In places you will have to wade to cross rivers. Even in late April there is the possibility of snow, so be prepared to have to alter your plans if you have no experience of mountains in winter conditions.

On a completely different suggestion the southern section of Offa's Dyke is both challenging and in places surprisingly remote, particularly over the Black Mountains. There are a few roads and towns/villages, but the former are mostly quiet and the latter few and far between and very picturesque. You can B&B or camp with discretion. 

Tringa 10 Feb 2019
In reply to RG:

Have a look at the area east and a bit south of Ullapool, also the Fisherfield and Letterewe Forests south and east of Poolewe.

Dave

SouthernSteve 10 Feb 2019
In reply to RG:

I have done a backpacking trip down the length of Snowdonia starting on the north coast at Aber and on the Carneddau and finishing up at Cadair Idris via the Rhinogs which I really enjoyed. There are some quite popular bits, but lots of route you will not see many people. You could plan between campsites, put in a night at a hostel or two or wild camp high up  as required and its very flexible. The big disadvantage is that as a linear route you have to get back to your transport or have lovely family! 

pasbury 10 Feb 2019
In reply to RG:

The West Highland Way is a bit meh and manages to find the dullest route wherever possible and be really busy. Avoid at all costs.

That does mean looking at maps and planning your own route as an alternative though.

Suggestions above are all good. My suggestions would be around Torridon and the areas north of Ullapool; Assynt and the far north west of Scotland.

Also the Cairngorms.

tlouth7 11 Feb 2019
In reply to RG:

Plenty of multiday trips in the lakes. I have done: arrive Langdale Friday night, hike up to 3 Tarns to camp, over Bowfell, over Esk Pike, dump bags at the shelter below Allen Crags, climb Scafell Pike, back to the bags and camp at Angle Tarn, then down to Langdale Sunday morning.

With more days you could do something similar but get Crinkle Crags in as well. Plenty of other options are available.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...