2 day walk recommendation - Western Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 23 Aug 2019

I’m heading off to the Lakes tonight with an aim to do a 2-3 day walk. The plan was to head to buttermere and do an anti-clockwise loop around to Warnscale Bothy area on, down to Borrowdale, and then back to Buttermere (taking in various fells along the way).

However given the weather is looking beautiful I imagine it’s going to be pretty busy in the central lakes and thought it might be quieter on the Eskdale side.

I’m not very familiar with the Western Lakes despite growing up in Barrow (other than swimming at Ulpha Bridge) and wondered if anyone can recommend a 2 day walk which ideally takes in some fells and maybe a few swimming spots. I’m looking for something fairly short, c.7 mile days.

I’m going to have a look at the map tonight and try to find a decent route myself but any general thoughts would be welcomed.  

I did actually do a 5 day thing over that way years back, but it’s one of the routes I don’t still have marked and I’ve not been back since. 

Also - is it likely to be a lot quieter over that way?

john1963 23 Aug 2019
In reply to James Malloch:

If you want to base yourself in Eskdale I would spend the first day doing the scafells. Second day Bowfell and Crinkle  crags. Third day up onto Great  Carrs and over to Wetherlam or even the Old Man. All achievable from Eskdale as a base.

overdrawnboy 23 Aug 2019
In reply to john1963:

> If you want to base yourself in Eskdale I would spend the first day doing the scafells. Second day Bowfell and Crinkle  crags. Third day up onto Great  Carrs and over to Wetherlam or even the Old Man. All achievable from Eskdale as a base.

That should avoid the bank holiday crowds.

Dark-Cloud 23 Aug 2019
In reply to overdrawnboy:

LOL

if i were the OP I would stay East, Longsleddale, Haweswater area, start in Staveley and make it up from there, very loose plan perhaps up to Pooley Bridge via Gatesgarth and High Street, second day Howtown, Martindale direction back (ish)

john1963 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I would rather settle for a quiet 10 mins at Great moss.

Mark Eddy 23 Aug 2019

The fells south of Eskdale would be a worthy option. Great Whinscale, Crook crag, Green crag, etc. Tag on Harter Fell to lengthen the day if desired.

For another day try the fells around Devoke water (swim spot).

Or north of Eskdale head to The Great Moss and tick off a few of the lower fells around there. 

OP James Malloch 24 Aug 2019

Many thanks for all the replies - we checked out the maps in conjunction with this and we will see how things go - plenty of options though! If it’s as warm as forecast we might end up doing a shorter route with more swimming up the River Esk. 

The more southern options sound like a nice option too. We’re both recovering from a knee injury and it’s my first time back out with a heavy pack so maybe the less steep options could be better. 

I’ll let you know it goes and where we end up - thanks for the options!!

wercat 24 Aug 2019

The Far Eastern Fells are, as previously suggested, very lovely and a bit quieter.  The suggestion of High Street as an entry into the Lakes is one I use from time to time though usually one day, Celleron to Ambleside over High Street and then Wansfell.  I've also extended that by bivvying in Langdale then walking out over Esk Hause and into Borrowdale but not on a Bank Holiday

You could descend from Thornthwaite Beacon down to Kirkstone Pass and then up on to Red Screes and gain the Fairfield Massif,

possibly for another time?

Post edited at 08:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...