X-Mids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ben b 26 Sep 2022

I have posted a little about the X-Mids before. Nice tents, dreadfully scarce and to paraphrase the words of an E Blackadder, as capacious as an elephant's scrotum and just as difficult to get your hands on.

But good news -  it looks like orders will be taken later this week. The original ones have mesh inners and so on the draughty side for all year round use, but the solid versions are sparing on the mesh and a better bet for UK/NZ conditions IMO (I'm ordering one as soon as they open up). The bad news is that they won't actually arrive until next year. Also with the GBP at a record low against the dollar and bonkers import duties, it's not the bargain that the early ones were. But for a big, spacious 4 season / 2 person tent at 1.1kg/1.2kg with poles it's still a reasonable deal.

cheers

b

Pedro50 27 Sep 2022
In reply to ben b:

I managed to get an XP mid 1 last year, truly excellent. I put it up in the Wasdale campsite to show my girlfriend and drew a small crowd of backpacking admirers. Even with the exchange rate and import tax they're not a ridiculous price compared to some high end rivals. Applications now open!

OP ben b 27 Sep 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

There's a few popping up in the UK, Aus, NZ and Scandinavia but the old mesh inner models were certainly more sensible in Australia/US than those others. One day it appears Dan will sell the inners separately which would allow some mix&match for the conditions. Currently Mrs B refuses to sleep in it on the grounds that it will be draughty!

The new adjustable poles look excellent for sub 100g, and would be really good if you needed to leave the tent in place and want your walking poles back (or a bike). 

Good to hear you got your 1P - I assume the non-DCF version?

b

Pedro50 27 Sep 2022
In reply to ben b:

I'm pretty happy with the mesh inner, I'm mainly a fair weather tramper. However it would be good to have the option to buy a solid inner to give a choice depending on conditions. I only had  fixed length BD light weight poles so had to buy adjustable ones for the tent but they represent a weight saving over fixed poles and the XP pole option. I only walk so no necessity to leave the tent erected. 

There're expecting that production will begin to exceed demand which is great news as they are a fabulous product 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...