Winter Gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reader_Rambles 08 Jan 2018
In BMC's recent summit mag, page 16, Sarah Stirling writes about the Rab Guide Gloves.

Saying that she "rarely carries less than three pairs and sometimes use as many as five! ...lightweight pair, at least one medium weight glove for using with an axe or scrambling about and a heavier weight pair..."

Can someone elaborate on the varied uses of five pairs of glove?
In reply to Reader_Rambles:

FWIW I was carrying five pairs on Sunday climbing Central Buttress on Beinn Eighe.
That was a pair of liner gloves, a pair of belay mitts (complete with insulated inner gloves) and three pairs of climbing gloves (two pairs RAB Guide, one pair ME guide).

I'd have to agree with Sarah, I never carry less than three pairs in Winter and four or five is more common. Also, that's not counting the additional spare pairs I have back in the car/van/hut, just in case I can't dry out gloves for the next day.
 NathanP 09 Jan 2018

I would think three to five would be commonplace. Usually four for me: thin liner gloves for the walk in and out; thin soft shell gloves (ME Super Alpine) for general use and climbing; a thicker waterproof pair (BD Punisher) in case it is colder or the soft shells get wet and some GoreTex-pile mitts as back-up/emergency wear.

If you were doing hard mixed climbing, taking a spare pair of thin soft shell gloves doesn't seem excessive. Of course you might not need all of them, depending how the day pans out - I don't often use my mitts, for example and only use use the BD Punishers in really cold weather.
 GarethSL 09 Jan 2018

Totally normal. I carry two pairs of gloves for climbing plus a shell over glove if I expect lots of snow or wet ice. In addition I have some merino liners plus some giant primaloft mitts (which admittedly never see the light of day) in my bag.

olddirtydoggy 09 Jan 2018

Must admit I carry less. 1 pair of thin gloves for the quick walk in and the big pair for the climb. On longer routes I've been known to take a spare but thats often more in view of who I'm climbing with. Can't imagine 5 but thats personal preference.
 DaveHK 09 Jan 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Can't imagine 5 but thats personal preference.

Also the type of climbing you're doing. Long, hard snowed up rock routes might require a couple of changes of glove but straightforward gully probably only one pair.
 planetmarshall 09 Jan 2018

Depends on the conditions, but usually just two. Rarely more than three. If the climbing is straightforward and it's especially cold I might just start in a pair of Dachsteins and not take them off until the descent.
 jonnie3430 09 Jan 2018

To keep the costs down I use a pair of dickies leather insulated work gloves (nikwaxed,) for the walk in and the first pitch, 2 pairs of skytech argon insulated work gloves for climbing and some uber warm belay mitts.

SnowShepard do venitex leather gloves, which are great as a warm skiing glove too.

These are also a lot more hard wearing than purpose made climbing gloves, as soon as I see "goat skin palm," advertised, or some such, I assume the gloves will have about 10 to 15 climbs in them.
 nniff 09 Jan 2018

Pair of liners. Maybe a spare pair. Pair of BD Punishers. Never felt the need for more

What sort of brands/models are people using as the liner and/or light pair of gloves.

I myself have a pair of
Rab Stretch Knit (Light & Liner)
ME Guide Gloves (Womens because all mens were sold out and I just needed to go up a size in womens for myself)
Blue Mountain gloves (thick, insulated with in-liner)
 jonnie3430 09 Jan 2018

Mountain warehouse does a good silk liner I use under my winter motorbike gloves, decathlon do good fleece liners that my other half swears by and uses under her dickies gloves.

> What sort of brands/models are people using as the liner and/or light pair of gloves.

Poundland ones. The current ones I use as liners were actually on clearance so only cost me 50pence each

TobyA 09 Jan 2018

I'll often have 4 pairs. Last Sunday I walked in in some lightweight stretchy things (Karrimor from Sports Direct. I wore them up the approach gully and got colder finger than I expected from snow and a bit of soggy ice climbing, but at I was done with hotaches before starting up the first real pitch! I climbed in some softshell gloves with leather palms - I can place small nuts or manipulate small cams in these. I put on midweight waterproof gloves later, BD punishers to warm my hands up at the first belay. I keep some lightweight mitts in my bag in case of emergencies.
 Robert Durran 09 Jan 2018
In reply to GarethSL:
> .........shell over glove.......

What shell gloves do you use? I am finding them very difficult to get hold of.
Post edited at 19:55
 GarethSL 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Presently I'm using a pair of the Arc'teryx Beta gloves, the older version with leather palms.

They fit really well over soft-shell climbing gloves
 Robert Durran 09 Jan 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

> Presently I'm using a pair of the Arc'teryx Beta gloves, the older version with leather palms.

> They fit really well over soft-shell climbing gloves

Thanks. I'll look them up. I imagine they're not cheap!
 jonnie3430 10 Jan 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

My me mitts have a removable fleece liner that would give space underneath for gloves. Personally I take the climbing gloves off and put in an inside pocket.
 Mr. Lee 10 Jan 2018

BD Punishers + a cheap second pair (£15) for the approach/abseils/emergency.
 nniff 10 Jan 2018

> What sort of brands/models are people using as the liner and/or light pair of gloves.

Anything that's about £6 or £7 or thereabouts. I have a range - Decathlon, Smartwool, Arayowhowotsit, Rab, unbranded, extremities, whatever.
 Robert Durran 10 Jan 2018
In reply to jonnie3430:

> My me mitts have a removable fleece liner that would give space underneath for gloves. Personally I take the climbing gloves off and put in an inside pocket.

But it's shell gloves, not mitts, I'm after.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...