Wild Country SRC specific carabiner?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MattPickering 18 Oct 2020

I recently got an SRC cheap on ebay and it doesn't seem to "work. I understand when it was available it came with the Wild Country Belaymaster. Is this essential?

I've tried the DMM Belaymaster, Aero, Aero HMS, boa and an edelrid something HMS. Some of which it was worse than a standard Bug/ATC in terms of how much pressure you need on the brake strand to hold, genuinely quite hard to hold onto, unlike the Bug.

Has anybody used one in the past? 

I'm not looking for alternatives, I've got belay devices I'm happy with, i just want to know if it's worth keeping. 

Andypeak 19 Oct 2020
In reply to MattPickering:

What rope are you using? They were only designed for ropes of 10-11mm which is quite chunky by modern standards. 

TobyA 19 Oct 2020

A bit like the DMM Chicane, wasn't the SRC one of those devices that everyone who tried it tend to hate? I don't remember them being around for that long. So, maybe it's not the krab but the device itself that is causing the problem.

elliptic 19 Oct 2020

I just use a plain HMS krab with mine made of old-fashioned round bar stock, no forging or shaping, and it locks up happily with every 10mm rope I've ever tried. I don't tend to use super skinny singles though.

If yours is barely braking at all by the sound of it there's probably something wrong - are you sure you've got it in the right orientation? It's the other way up from a Smart (long end upwards).

It's been my main sport belay device as long as I can remember - there's a knack to feeding out slack cleanly but it's really no different in principle to the current passive assisted lockers, just designed twenty years earlier in the mid nineties and I don't think most people were quite ready for the idea back then.

OP MattPickering 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Andypeak:

I tried my 10mm Edelrid Python and a 10mm Tendon static. 

OP MattPickering 19 Oct 2020
In reply to elliptic:

> I just use a plain HMS krab with mine made of old-fashioned round bar stock, no forging or shaping, and it locks up happily with every 10mm rope I've ever tried. I don't tend to use super skinny singles though.

> If yours is barely braking at all by the sound of it there's probably something wrong - are you sure you've got it in the right orientation? It's the other way up from a Smart (long end upwards).

> It's been my main sport belay device as long as I can remember - there's a knack to feeding out slack cleanly but it's really no different in principle to the current passive assisted lockers, just designed twenty years earlier in the mid nineties and I don't think most people were quite ready for the idea back then.

Yeah I had it the right way up, I did try it the wrong way just in case. No joy. Tried with two different 10mm ropes. I guess i'll try an old biner if I can source one. 

Post edited at 13:31
 Andy Say 20 Oct 2020

Needs to be round profile krab. Modern funky jobs with funny profiles wont work.

For what it's worth I think they were a great, simple device.

OP MattPickering 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Say:

> Needs to be round profile krab. Modern funky jobs with funny profiles wont work.

> For what it's worth I think they were a great, simple device.

I've just ordered an "old" round type carabiner. No loss if it doesn't work still as I could do with a couple of extra lockers anyway. So we'll see.

Post edited at 17:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...