Wild Country Reslinging Cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 16 Jun 2019

Currently Wild Country don't offer a cam reslinging service.

Does anyone know when they're going to start offering one again?

Dan Arkle 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Never. They are a tiny shell company that outsources most manufacture abroad. They would have no interest in opening a low volume repairs workshop.

[This is my impression from what I've heard. I've nothing against them, I really like the new freinds] 

Post edited at 12:35
 Andrew Lodge 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

That's the feeling I got when I tried to get some new slings fitted a couple of years ago. As a result my next set of cams won't be from WC.

beardy mike 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Most likely not. Salewa did not want to continue, the guys at Wild Country did. Salewa are the bosses.

beardy mike 16 Jun 2019
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

This to me is a somewhat overstated thing - in all my years of climbing, probably 24 years of trad climbing I've never needed a cam reslinging. Usually the units have to be replaceed before the sling has - wires broken, stem kinked etc... but each to their own...

Jamie Wakeham 16 Jun 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

If you work professionally in any way with your gear, then you don't have much choice - if the manufacturer gives a maximum lifetime then you can't go beyond that without compromising your liability insurance.

And anyway, after ten years of service my Camalots were mechanically fine but the slings were decidedly furry.  I'd have wanted them replaced sooner or later regardless of the insurance angle.  Perhaps I'm unduly pessimistic about sling durability, though.

OP Alpenglow 16 Jun 2019
In reply to beardy mike:

My helium friends are mechanically fine but the slings are furring up a bit.

PaulJepson 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Alpenglow:

Are they new Friends with the thumb-loops or the older style technical with the hole?

If the latter, I've replaced a couple of slings that work out alright:

Cut off the old sling, get a 30cm dyneema sling and poke it through so you have 2 loops of equal length and clip them both to a krab. I put a rope retainer on the krab as well with both ends of the sling through so one can never accidentally become unclipped. They hang slightly (~2cm) further down your harness but it doesn't bother me. Only negative is you can't extend by just clipping a quickdraw into the loop, you have to clip a sling into the 'fixed' krab. This isn't a biggie when compared to the old style technical friends. They do however suffer the same problem of the old Friends in that if the krab happens to be right across a nasty edge, there's nothing you can do about it (that's the big advantage of the extendable doubled-up offerings like the new Friends and DMM Dragons).  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...