which gas stove?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mauraman 25 Dec 2019

I need a gas stove for boiling water (no cooking) and narrowed down to either a Jetboil zip or colemans fyrestorm. Both stoves have pro and cons but the main question, and the one decisivefor me is: since they will see  a fair share of (british) winter use which is likely to perform best? and also: Coleman seems to have some good fuel for cold temps, could you use that on jetboil stoves? 

Merry christmas and Thanks!

GMohr 25 Dec 2019

Had a look at the Msr wind burner?

I'd plump for it every time. 

OP mauraman 25 Dec 2019
In reply to GMohr:

Yes, I had ruled it out because of the price and the half liter pot being slightly smaller, in the other hand having a gas regulator (the others don't have) might make a difference in the cold. that alone might be worth the extra cost, have you used it in cold conditions without problems? and with what gas canisters? 

Mal Grey 25 Dec 2019
In reply to mauraman:

Screwfit is the same for all, so the Coleman fuel will work with Jetboil.

I prefer the Primus fuel for lower temps (and they do a "winter gas" too), I find the Coleman performs less well. 

Otherwise, I think these stoves are all much of a muchness in reality, though some will slightly out-perform others and it does tend to be the pricier ones. Buy the one that's size works for you, or that you find at a good price, or from a retailer that gives excellent advice.

bouldery bits 25 Dec 2019
In reply to mauraman:

Having Run a jetboil for years I now use a Primus ETA lite. It's better in all areas in my view. 

The quality of the Primus really wins it for me 

Post edited at 23:05
 Graham 26 Dec 2019
In reply to mauraman:

I've been using a MSR reactor for many years now - fantastic stove for boiling water and (I think) miles better than a jetboil.  The windburner is supposed to excellent as well.,

Mr. Lee 26 Dec 2019
In reply to mauraman:

> Yes, I had ruled it out because of the price and the half liter pot being slightly smaller

If you're primarily boiling water then do you really need a pot bigger than a half litre? Why not just boil water in batches? I've got a Windburner. It boils water quickly enough that there's never much stagger and I like the smaller pack size verses a larger pot. 

wilkesley 26 Dec 2019
In reply to mauraman:

I have had a Primus Gravity for several years. I prefer this type of stove to a canister top stove, as it's more stable. Combined with a home made windshield it's very effective in cold weather. There are several Chinese copies, which are cheaper if you want to save some cash.

greg_may_ 26 Dec 2019
In reply to mauraman:

Jetboil Zip, works well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...