Which belay glasses do you recommend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Withington 30 Nov 2018

Any recommendations for belay glasses? Are the £15 Decathlon ones any good?

Cheers

john arran 30 Nov 2018
In reply to Si Withington:

I have some Pirate ones that were around that price and are excellent quality.

But I don't like using them much. The problem for me is that, while looking at the leader is much easier, keeping an eye on your belay device and the amount of slack in the rope is very much harder. I really wish someone would produce a modified design such that you actively have to look up a little to see through the prism to the leader, yet you can still look down as you would if you weren't wearing the glasses. Sort of like bi-focals, or actually just the existing belay classes with an extra bit that makes them sit higher on your nose! I haven't tried it, but I suspect a bit of blu-tac between the bridge of the glasses and your nose would work just fine!

TobyA 30 Nov 2018

I was quite happy with the Decathlon ones I bought at the start of the summer. The prisms aren't massive so I find you can look under them when necessary no problem. I'm not a massive sport climber, so probably never would have bought a pair if they cost much more. But they do help me not get a bad neck belaying steep routes now.

ChrisBrooke 30 Nov 2018

The Decathlon ones are great. At that price compared to the competition they really can't be argued with I reckon.

luke glaister 01 Dec 2018

I've just given in and brought a pair of the decathlon ones having never used them before. Only used them for 1 crag day but was very pleased with them. For that price well worth the money. 

Cake 01 Dec 2018

I had the le pirate ones, but lost them and have replaced then with the decathlon ones recently. Get seem just the same to me and I recommend them.

It takes a like while to get used to them. You need to look over the top four the first few metres of your partner leading. You also need to judge how much slack there is at the bottom end without being able to see ask of it.

Some of my partners like borrowing them, some don't

Ciro 01 Dec 2018
In reply to john arran:

Have you tried the CU glasses? With no plastic frame in the way they are very easy to look around to your immediate environment

OP Si Withington 11 Dec 2018

Has anyone tried the Y&Y glasses, CUs, LACDs, Belaggles? 

All much of a muchness?

AlanLittle 11 Dec 2018

I had Y&Y's and changed to CU's. CU's have optically better prisms - clearer & brighter.

whenry 11 Dec 2018

I've got a pair of Belaggles - I've also tried the Y&Y and CU glasses. I found the Belaggles by far the best - good and decent sized prisms, and they feel much more sturdy than the others - and it's far easier to put them on your head one-handed whilst belaying. I've had them for about four years and they're still in good nick.

Removed User 13 Dec 2018

I bought Decathlon brand, based purely on price and the fact that they're likely to get lost, trodden on or dropped. I've taken to them quicker than I thought I would and don't find myself critiquing them in use, so I'm guessing they're OK.

hbeevers 13 Dec 2018
In reply to Removed Usergilesf:

I like the decathlon ones. Cheap, comfortable and they work.

gravy 13 Dec 2018
In reply to hbeevers:

I've got some cheapo ones that are fine except I needed to glue the prisms back on. 

I had some home made ones made by changing in the prism direction on bed reading glasses - shite - the frame blocks your peripheral vision and you can't see you hands or feet and pretty quickly trip up.

keith sanders 14 Dec 2018

I bought the cu glasses now had them nearly 10 years and still going strong fantastic cost 108 Euros and I climb at least 6 months abroad on sport routes single and multi pitch plus use them at  the wall , can’t fault them can see up and down at the belay devise and anybody around if I want to.

keith s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...