Where do you put your watch when wearing big gloves etc?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Statts 16 Jan 2022

Hi. I use my watch for navigation and other information when I'm in the mountains, but, when I'm all wrapped up in big gloves and a jacket, it's hard work getting access to it. Also, I'd prefer not to let the elements get inside my clothes.

How do you deal with this? A long strap so you can wear it outside your jacket? Or perhaps attach it to your bag somehow whilst minimising the risk of losing it?

Thanks for any tips. I use a Garmin Fenix 3 by the way.

olddirtydoggy 16 Jan 2022
In reply to Statts:

I use a Suunto and tried the attached to the bag idea  but found that the battery was nearly dead by the back half of the day due to the cold. I personally hate the watch on my wrist and have the same issues with gloves on the cuff.

We will be watching this thread with interest.

elliot.baker 16 Jan 2022
In reply to Statts:

I’ve worn my on my jacket once in white out weather in the Lake District. Other than that I don’t find I get Cold enough that wearing my mittens and jacket with a thin strip of wrist exposed is a problem. 

lithos 16 Jan 2022
In reply to Statts:

i cant get a strap long enough to go over my jacket for my fenix 3, 

i've tried on rucsac strap but hard to focus that close (for me) Can use a mini krab or even a thin bit of cord to secure  to sac if worried but then a pain to take off if you choose - also be careful when taking sac on and off.

still looking for ideal answer...

In reply to Statts:

I keep mine on my rucsac chest strap and find I can read it no problem (I wear varifocal glasses or contacts)

OP Statts 16 Jan 2022
In reply to get to the punchline:

I was thinking of trying that. How do you attach it? I'm worried that just using the clasp on the watch strap wouldn't be secure enough.

brianjcooper 16 Jan 2022
In reply to Statts:

> Hi. I use my watch for navigation and other information when I'm in the mountains, but, when I'm all wrapped up in big gloves and a jacket, it's hard work getting access to it. Also, I'd prefer not to let the elements get inside my clothes.

You got me thinking too as I've experienced the same issue when wearing big gloves in sub zero temperatures.

I usually wear a very thin pair underneath outer gloves when it's that cold. So I've just been experimenting by wearing my watch over the wrist of the lighter gloves to stop bare skin exposure. Seemed to work ok. Probably everyone's been doing that for years.

Question: How do you manage to use your map and compass wearing big gloves? That has always been a bloody nightmare.    

OP Statts 16 Jan 2022
In reply to brianjcooper:

Yes, thin gloves would be a good idea. I still find that it's a real faff undoing the jacket sleeve and the draw cord on my mittens, and then putting it all back in place again. In the meantime I've tripped over my snowshoes and stabbed myself in the leg with my hiking poles 😂

Re: map and compass. That can stay in my bag if I can see the directions on my watch. Solved one problem and created a new one! Haha

Mark Haward 17 Jan 2022
In reply to Statts:

In UK winter most of the time I do as others have said. Liner glove with watch outside that and then mitts or gloves over the top. I would tend to navigate using map / compass as appropriate rather than electronically in the winter because of cold / battery / access issues ( apart from as a back up if required ).

Anything electronic I may need access to in winter is usually in a close to body pocket to keep it warm. Obviously wrist or strap mounted is fine in warmer temperatures. A friend keeps their watch navigator on a small cord / bungee around their neck tucked into their clothing / neck zip which works for them. Wouldn't be my choice though... 

In reply to Statts:

I have just used the watch strap clasp and it hasn't failed yet.......perhaps an extra precaution would be good I.e. a lanyard through one of the strap holes. My fenix 6 has a great battery life so has not been troubled by the cold but that would be a consideration on a longer day. Charging on the go would be pretty easy with the watch on a chest strap though

DaveHK 17 Jan 2022
In reply to Statts:

You could try the 'Walken Method'. It has the added benefit of meaning that cold temperatures don't affect the battery.  

OP Statts 18 Jan 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

You may have to enlighten me on the Walken method. Google is sending me in the direction of Christopher Walken...

OP Statts 18 Jan 2022
In reply to get to the punchline:

> I have just used the watch strap clasp and it hasn't failed yet.......perhaps an extra precaution would be good I.e. a lanyard through one of the strap holes. My fenix 6 has a great battery life so has not been troubled by the cold but that would be a consideration on a longer day. Charging on the go would be pretty easy with the watch on a chest strap though

This sounds like the solution I'm looking for! 🎉 I'm going to try putting a lanyard through the loops on the watch strap and hang the lanyard around my neck. To help reduce battery drain, I'll keep it inside my jacket's chest pocket. Easy access, minimal chance of losing the watch and it should keep working all day (not that I've had any battery drain issues with the Fenix 3). Thanks. I'll report back on how that goes.

DaveHK 18 Jan 2022
In reply to Statts:

> You may have to enlighten me on the Walken method. Google is sending me in the direction of Christopher Walken...

That is correct, specifically his famous watch speech in Pulp Fiction. It wasn't a serious suggestion.

thegrowler1981 19 Jan 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Haha got it. Access would be a bit shit though.

Dr.S at work 19 Jan 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

What about the Jasper Carrot technique?

OP Statts 19 Jan 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> That is correct, specifically his famous watch speech in Pulp Fiction. It wasn't a serious suggestion.

Ah yes, a classic. I've tried the Rowan Atkinson method a few times but there are some obvious disadvantages associated with a 20lb turkey on your head.

mountainbagger 19 Jan 2022
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> What about the Jasper Carrot technique?

Well, I'm none the wiser, but I was very pleased to read his Wikipedia entry and find out he is still very much alive 🙂

Tony the Blade 19 Jan 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> You could try the 'Walken Method'. It has the added benefit of meaning that cold temperatures don't affect the battery.  

More cowbell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...