When is a half price sale not a half price sale?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hardy 28 Nov 2018

When it's a Go Outdoors 50% off sale!

If you've had an email from them which says 50% off grab a bargain, please be aware they missed off "selected items we can't normally shift only" so don't make a special trip at lunchtime, unless you're looking for craghopper stuff

Mods: I put this in the gear forum, because there's no shopping forum.

Dark-Cloud 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Normal practice for most retailers, it's not that unusual to get rid of slow moving lines by discounting ?

OP Andy Hardy 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

"Get at least 50% off the retail price with your discount card / clearance sale at our Stockport store / Get a deal while you can"

is what my email reads. No small print, nothing else. It should have "on selected items" in there at least.

leon 1 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Does it not say 'Save up to 50% off the retail price with your discount card" ?

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/Lib/Img/Promotions/2015/homepage-services/disc...

Post edited at 16:28
 summo 28 Nov 2018
In reply to leon 1:

> And Mars Bars originated in Slough not Mars. 

What about milky way, arguably correct. 

Lusk 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> "Get at least 50% off the retail price with your discount card / CLEARANCE sale at our Stockport store / Get a deal while you can"

Note the key word!

OP Andy Hardy 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Lusk:

Yes, sounded like the store was closing!

Jamie Hageman 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Yep, I too had plenty of emails from outdoor shops over the past week.  Supposedly some good deals but not on anything I want or need.  Black Friday to Cyber Monday did not deliver.  Amazon and Ebay are best at the mo, if you have the time to trawl and search through the dross.

Wiley Coyote2 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I hope they are saving a special place in Retail Hell for whoever writes Go Outdoors  internet ads. They are forever bombarding me with offers for shoes they only have in extra large or small sizes or which are only available for collection in stores hundreds of miles away It's almost as if they have my details and know where I don't live.

Bone Idle 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2

Standard retail practice.

Wiley Coyote2 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Bone Idle:

> In reply to Wiley Coyote2

>  Standard retail practice.

Maybe. But Go Outdoors seem to practice particularly hard, especially on me. Or am I just being paranoid about that last bit?

nathan79 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

I scoured and scoured the sales to no avail . Ended up buying a drill and a dehumidifier (stuff I actually needed). 

wercat 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

I have to say that the one email that was useful got me a rope that I've been keeping my eye on all year for 20% less, at last! Just as well, as the 9mm it will replace is nearly 20 years old, though lightly used and occasionally in the Alps.

krikoman 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Or 50% off, as long as your a size 5.25 shoe and you can get to the Outer Hebrides store.

deepsoup 29 Nov 2018
In reply to wercat:

> nearly 20 years old, though lightly used and occasionally in the Alps.

Cool.  So you'll be offering the old one up on the 'for sale' forum here then?

Billhook 29 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

50% of items seems to mean 50% off clothing thats size XS or XXXL 

Fakey Rocks 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I'm so glad I haven't opted in for Emails from GO. I have been trying for about a year now just to stop them sending me their catalogue!

birdie num num 04 Dec 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I don't normally like shopping online because you can't shoplift

Sharp 05 Dec 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> "Get at least 50% off the retail price with your discount card / clearance sale at our Stockport store / Get a deal while you can"

> is what my email reads. No small print, nothing else. It should have "on selected items" in there at least.

As the slow road towards infantalising the population nears completion. Do we really need every little thing explained to us in minute detail? Surely a retailer should be able to assume a basic level of understanding of how sales work from their customers. If anything it's mildly refreshing to be spared from the innane corporate legal back covering nonsense that follows any advert these days, often read out at high speed at the end of commercials"offer only applicable in store does not apply to...blah blah blah". I didn't realise that people actually liked that kind of thing let alone complained when it was absent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...