Wheelchair user looking some help?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Good evening,

Due to health issues I now have to use a motorised wheelchair all the time. This brings it's own problems however the main problem I'm facing is feeling cold. I currently have a rab microlight which is a great jacket in autumn and the warmer months however it's just not warm enough for me currently in the winter. As I can't really produce my own body heat I'm thinking a belay jacket or a higher fill power may help. Could you kindly give me a few suggestions on jackets that maybe suitable and better for my personal situation.? I have a budget of £250 and would like a hood.

Thank you .

olddirtydoggy 22 Jan 2023
In reply to Charcot Marie tooth:

Not sure where you're based but there is a Rab factory shop at Alfreton where you can get a lot of top end down coats for half price. This might enable you to get a much warmer down jacket and keep within budget. Where abouts are you based?

Pedro50 22 Jan 2023
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Good call but I'd go for synthetic primaloft, more reliable in damp conditions, Rab, North Face etc. Always bargains online. I don't feel qualified to recommend specific models.

petegunn 22 Jan 2023

You can get rechargeable heated gilets/ bodywarmers reasonably cheap on Amazon etc. Would work well under a windproof layer and as generating your own body heat will be hard so maybe a better option for you.

GrahamD 22 Jan 2023

Are you looking for a coat or for a warm blanket/cover?

PaulJepson 22 Jan 2023

Bit of a wildcard but would something maybe like a down quilt help? Something like the Alpkit one: https://alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover-down-quilt

May be a silly suggestion but I have sat around camp in an Enlightened Equipment quilt and I reckon it kept me warmer than any jacket/trouser combo could.

Holdtickler 22 Jan 2023

Messaged you

tingle 22 Jan 2023

Deep pile for any areas that are consistently compressed like a buffalo/montane extreme jacket. Down will be no good for the back half of your body and synthetics probably wont be much better. In 'Boundless' by Karen Darke she briefly goes into her gear choices iirc

Good evening,

Firstly thank you so much for the detailed and helpful replies. I maybe should have explained myself better. I'm looking a down jacket for heading to the pub or going for a spin around the shops up the town etc. I have looked at the likes of rab, montane and mountain equipment etc. I really just after a warmer down jacket and would like to know which brands or models you have found good for daily wear. 

Run_Ross_Run 22 Jan 2023

Montane gangstang from Sportsshoes.com. 100 quid for a really warm synthetic fill jacket. 

olddirtydoggy 23 Jan 2023

The brands you mention don't have much between then as they are all aimed at the regular outdoor user rather than casual fashion. That said, in your circumstances you're not wrong looking at them. The fill power might be worth a look to tell you how warm the filling will be. The 800-850 fill power will be towards the warmer end and naturally the bigger the jacket, the warmer it should be.

You might be hoping that 5 forum members out of a few posts recommend one make and model of jacket but what most of us might agree on is just the spec.

LastBoyScout 23 Jan 2023

If it's any help, I was out shopping yesterday and saw a couple of wheelchair users wearing down* vests OVER a down* jacket - you'd need to size up on the gilet, so it doesn't compress the jacket, to get maximum warmth, but that could be a cheaper/more versatile option.

* might have been synthetic, it was only a passing glimpse, but you get the idea.

top cat 23 Jan 2023

My sister is in a wheelchair and finds that leg insulation is the key to keeping warm.  Sure, a good jacket is needed, but insulated trousers make a big difference.  She uses Paramo Torres because the fitting system at the waist is very helpful for dressing and toilet breaks.

Jenny C 23 Jan 2023

The brands the you mention are all quality, which will offer options up to the level you'd need for Arctic or Everest expeditions. But as you say the likes of the Rab Microlight is a relatively thin jacket and not really enough for winter use, so really important to look at fill ratings (how much down) and not just the brand.

One thing you will find is that most genuine outdoor brands drop down at the back to cover the kidneys (really helpful if sitting as it prevents a cold spot at the base of your back), more fashion orientated brands tend to sacrifice this for a straight cut at the waist as it looks more stylish.

I'd also second a suggestion from someone to look at synthetic rather than down, as they are far more forgiving to the British climate (getting wet) than down. Slightly heavier and usually don't pack down as small, but that won't be an issue for how you want to use it.

wercat 23 Jan 2023

I wonder if you should have a look in a shop for anglers as they have to spend a lot of time sitting/ not moving too much whatever the weather.  I'm sure they'd have some tips, possibly quilted/duvet trousers?

Post edited at 17:14
 deepsoup 23 Jan 2023
In reply to wercat:

> I wonder if you should have a look in a shop for anglers..

A visit to Decathlon if there's a reasonably sized branch nearby seems like a good idea.  There are lots of top brand names mentioned above, but there's every chance of a Quechua jacket or something fitting the bill for quite a bit less dosh and they have an aisle dedicated to anglers as well.

Graeme Hammond 23 Jan 2023

> Good evening,

>  

> Due to health issues I now have to use a motorised wheelchair all the time. This brings it's own problems however the main problem I'm facing is feeling cold. I currently have a rab microlight which is a great jacket in autumn and the warmer months however it's just not warm enough for me currently in the winter. As I can't really produce my own body heat I'm thinking a belay jacket or a higher fill power may help. Could you kindly give me a few suggestions on jackets that maybe suitable and better for my personal situation.? I have a budget of £250 and would like a hood.

> Thank you .

A microlight has a very good fill power, having the same amount of down in the jacket with a higher fill power will be warmer and more packable. However using more down of the same quality will also make the jacket warmer. There are some good guides on the Internet that explain this better. 

This one came up on Google is excellent.  https://www.kathmandu.co.uk/what-is-down-fill-power-and-why-does-it-matter

Given your budget and requirements you could just about stretch to buying a Rab Valiance jacket for around £250. Which has a very similar fill power (700) but uses decent quantity of it so is very warm. The waterproof outer also helps retain heat and stop wind so in the real world is much warmer than a lab test and much more practical for UK conditions for the odd shower.

Dave the Rave 23 Jan 2023

You may want to consider one with reinforcement patches from cuff to elbow if you’re self propelling.

My old Rab one had these and was very warm with a good hood.

Unfortunately the dog got buried in it.

Good morning everyone.

I just wanted to reach out and thank everyone so much for taking the time to reply with so many helpful and knowledgeable answers. It's really greatly appreciated. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day.

In reply to Holdtickler:

Apologies but never received a message. Didn't want you thinking I was rude!

Holdtickler 26 Jan 2023

That's odd, no worries. Emailed you again.

StuDoig 26 Jan 2023

Given the usage you've described, I'm not sure big names brands are necessary the way to go.  A lot of the premium price goes in making the jackets light for the level of insulation they provide.

Have a look at Alpkit - budget but very good kit and can customise if you would like wear patches added etc.  Keela is another brand worth a look at, some excellent kit at good prices!

The electric vest option someone upthread suggested is worth a look too - I often find it very difficult to stay warm over an extended period of inactivity in the cold; rechargeable heat packs might help massively at comparatively little cost.

​​​​​​Cheers,

Stuart 

​​

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...