What's a little bit warmer than a ME Eclipse?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 01 Oct 2020

Winter climbing I layer a ME Eclipse hooded T over a Rab Powergrid Pullover.

This has worked pretty well but I'd like something just a little bit warmer for crappy days. 

Any suggestions?

Ta.

innes 01 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Try and get a hold of a Rab Alpha Freak Pull On before they disappear.  I think they’ve stopped making them, which is a classic case of a great piece of kit that lacks sales volume so it gets axed.  It’s  warmer than my ME Eclipse and dries so much quicker - it’s really  very noticeable how much better unlined Alpha material is compared to Grid Fleece wrt drying out, which I didn’t expect - plus it’s got other neat features like a windproof hood, thumb loops etc.  For “crappy days” it’s easily the best midlayer I’ve used...

Post edited at 21:07
OP DaveHK 01 Oct 2020
In reply to innes:

Looks like I'm a bit late!

nickcj 02 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Small and XL still available half price on sport pursuit! 

OP DaveHK 02 Oct 2020
In reply to nickcj:

> Small and XL still available half price on sport pursuit! 

Cheers but I'm definitely a medium!

Does anyone know if there's anything between the Eclipse and the Patagonia R1 in terms of warmth? Given that they're almost identical weights I can't imagine there would be.

Mr. Lee 02 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Another option I guess is to add another layer all together? I primarily climb with a warm base layer and an ME Transition synthetic jacket as a midlayer, then use my Eclipse as a second baselayer if it's really cold. The Transition jacket, or another lightweight synthetic insulation is going to pack down easily in the bag for the approach and maybe gives you a little bit more flexibility with layers throughout the day maybe? 

Cobra_Head 02 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

What's a little bit warmer than a ME Eclipse?

Two ME Eclipses.

rogerwebb 02 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> Winter climbing I layer a ME Eclipse hooded T over a Rab Powergrid Pullover.

> This has worked pretty well but I'd like something just a little bit warmer for crappy days. 

> Any suggestions?

> Ta.

Add a synthetic gilet on the rubbish days?

Gives more flexibility. 

galpinos 02 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

In the grand UKC tradition of not answering your question, I wear my eclipse as a base layer (or solar eclipse if warmer) and then have a Patagucci Nano Air* as a mid layer. Pretty warm, but also very breathable.

*Other synthetic breathable insulation options available.

RBK 02 Oct 2020
 iainballantyne 02 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I have a Rab Alpha Direct jacket that i really like to use as a mid-layer on crap weather days in winter (same as the "Rab Alpha Freak Pull On" Innes is on about apart from with a thin windproof layer on top). I find it really good at retaining warmth even when its soaked through (I'm quite bad at always having my hood down when i'm at a section of climbing i find difficult so invariably end up with quite alot of snow on the inside of my hardshell). And having the windproof outer is great as for when u are walking out or moving fast and want to ditch a layer and its not snowing/ raining, as it keeps the wind off you and whilst somehow keeping you warm whilst not too sweaty.

You've probably got your systems a bit better dialed than me although i find on poor weather days my default system is walk in in long sleeve baselayer under hardshell > change baselayer to fresh dry ME Eclipse Hooded T (the fabled "T-Sneachda Striptease"), then Rab Alpha direct and hardshell on top, Bon!

Graeme G 02 Oct 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> What's a little bit warmer than a ME Eclipse?

> Two ME Eclipses.

Would that not be ‘twice’ as warm? That sounds significantly more than an little bit’.

In reply to DaveHK:

So you're layering two fleeces, with no significantly wind resistant layer?

I'd just stick a windshirt on top of either.

Post edited at 12:13
 Cobra_Head 02 Oct 2020
In reply to Graeme G:

> Would that not be ‘twice’ as warm? That sounds significantly more than an little bit’.

The law of diminishing marginal returns 

OP DaveHK 02 Oct 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> So you're layering two fleeces, with no significantly wind resistant layer?

I assumed that people would realise this is under a hardshell, I can't imagine anyone climbing in two grid fleeces alone! 

As for softshells, I find the number of days when you can climb in a softshell to be very few so I've given up on them hence the old school fleece / hardshell combo.

Because it's only ever going to be under a hardshell I don't need a fleece with wind resistance.

In reply to DaveHK:

I've just got a Patagonia R1 Air pull-over.

It's a lot warmer than Eclipse or standard R1 hoody, despite that it looks similar and is of a lower weight.

It comes in Purple too, which is always a winner with me!

https://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/product/mens-r1-air-zip-neck-fleece/40245.ht...

Another good option would be Patagonia R2 Jacket. 

Tom

Kryank 02 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I use a Rab Alpha Flux jacket as a winter mid layer and love it, in fact I wear it loads, as a stand-alone in spring summer and autumn , great to climb in, really light, wind proof and really warm, also breaths great and wicks moisture away. 

hope that helps

TechnoJim 16 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

The Alpha Direct is fantastically warm - almost too much so. I don't think it works that well as a midlayer for Scottish Winter unless you really, really suffer with the cold, which I don't, especially now that I'm extra 'buff' after lockdown. 

It's brilliant as on outer layer on days when you don't need a hardshell.

I've gone back to various standard fleeces over a montane merino/poly baselayer, although I now fill my Alpha Direct so snugly I might have a go wearing it Buffalo style this winter...

Root1 17 Oct 2020
In reply to iainballantyne:

> You've probably got your systems a bit better dialed than me although i find on poor weather days my default system is walk in in long sleeve baselayer under hardshell > change baselayer to fresh dry ME Eclipse Hooded T (the fabled "T-Sneachda Striptease"), then Rab Alpha direct and hardshell on top, Bon!

I walk in with a Rab Alpine light. Quick striptease to put on a Paramo hooded gridded top followed by the Rab then Paramo jkt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...