What to do with retired gear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abbie.foggo 03 Feb 2023

Hi all, my name is Abbie and I am currently in a student in my final year of university. I am doing a project about old climbing gear and would love if you could take 5 minutes (yes really that quick) to do my survey.

https://forms.gle/JPktqVk3MoxDLKeQ8

Thanks!

LastBoyScout 03 Feb 2023
In reply to abbie.foggo:

I think you need to define what "repurposed" actually means (I assume anything non-climbing related) and have another option for actual 2nd hand usage.

For example, do you mean a harness repurposed for tree surgery, a rope woven into a floor mat, gear turned into an ornament, etc.

I'd also split the question "How often do you buy new climbing equipment?" and put "I'm still using..." as it's own question with different gear types. Maybe also have another question around renewing gear, such as re-slinging Hexes and cams.

Post edited at 10:43
OP abbie.foggo 03 Feb 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks for this advice, will look at changing this now

OP abbie.foggo 03 Feb 2023
In reply to abbie.foggo:

Additionally, if you would like to be involved in my project further (such as for giving feedback about the product I choose to design), please reach out to me at abbie.foggo2019@my.ntu.ac.uk. Any alternative views are beneficial.

Or if you have any further comments that you were unable to explain in my survey. 

Thanks again

kylo-342 03 Feb 2023
In reply to abbie.foggo:

Nice simple survey.  

Tony the Blade 03 Feb 2023
In reply to abbie.foggo:

Done

Although as a Yorkshireman I do struggle with the concept of throwing owt away!

LastBoyScout 03 Feb 2023
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Although as a Yorkshireman I do struggle with the concept of throwing owt away!

You should see my garage! Although I'm trying to eBay some things I don't use any more.

Tony the Blade 03 Feb 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

My neighbour called round today for a brew, she's a climber.

Sue - Tony, bloody hell look at them fixed stem cams! Are are are they ariginal WC Friends?

Me - Yep! That's nowt, look in this cupboard. <Shows her my old Aces, Lazers and EBs>

Sue - Christ, haven't you heard of museums?

Rob Parsons 05 Feb 2023

> My neighbour called round today for a brew, she's a climber.

> Sue - Tony, bloody hell look at them fixed stem cams! Are are are they original WC Friends?

> Sue - Christ, haven't you heard of museums?

Fixed stem friends still work fine.

LastBoyScout 05 Feb 2023

Got a couple of fixed stem Friends,  too - also 2x HB QuadCams, an HB Cobra sliding nut and a Faces sliding nut!

My first pair of borrowed rock shoes were Boreal Jazz, followed by original green and black Aces. First pair I owned were Scarpa Rock Star, blue and yellow. Still got them, still regret not buying the Masters

Also got a Petzl Jump harness, DMM Zeus harness, some ancient Mountain Technology ice axes.

LastBoyScout 05 Feb 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Fixed stem friends still work fine.

Especially if you've done the loop of Dyneema though one of the holes modification so you don't snap them in a horizontal break

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...