What is the Best Waterproof Head Torch?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thelostjockey 15 Nov 2018

Evening UKC, I am after a head torch and have no real preconceived ideas.

I usually prefer the battery pack at the back of the head. I would like a USB rechargeable head torch. The number of lumens would be important. Any suggestions and/or places to buy one?

Thank you for your time.

EdS 15 Nov 2018
In reply to thelostjockey:

Phaethon or Scurion

Ridge 15 Nov 2018

What do you mean by waterproof? Something you can go out in torrential rain in or something you can submerge to a given depth?

girlymonkey 16 Nov 2018

I'm currently looking at Fenix. It has a boost function of 1000 lumens! Waterproof and battery at the back

OP thelostjockey 17 Nov 2018

Thanks for your ideas. By waterproof, I mean something to cope with an afternoon of driving rain. Thanks for your time.

olddirtydoggy 17 Nov 2018

It doesn't really fit your brief but a simple Petzl Actik works for me. I used the previous Petzl Tikka for years and liked it because it lit up the floor in front of me. I've used them in winter and driving rain.

Petzl have a USB rechargeable battery option called the Core which might work for you.

kevin stephens 17 Nov 2018

I'm very happy with this

https://www.alpkit.com/products/prism

OP thelostjockey 18 Nov 2018

Very kind of you, thank you for your suggestions.

Martin Hore 18 Nov 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> It doesn't really fit your brief but a simple Petzl Actik works for me. I used the previous Petzl Tikka for years and liked it because it lit up the floor in front of me. I've used them in winter and driving rain.

> Petzl have a USB rechargeable battery option called the Core which might work for you.

I've recently bought a Petzl Actik Core (also to replace a lost Tikka) I'm pleased with it so far but not tried it in the rain. It claims to be weather resistant but it clearly isn't waterproof. The battery compartment clicks together without properly sealing the gap. 

Has anyone had problems with this in the rain?

Martin

wercat 18 Nov 2018

Has anyone tried the new LED replacement bulbs for the incredibly durable and weatherproof old style ZOOMs?

I only ask as I got dozens of good Alkaline batteries suitable for these  torches  for almost nothing recently!

olddirtydoggy 18 Nov 2018
In reply to Martin Hore:

It's been in proper driving rain and snow for me and held up. If you're travelling solo regularly I guess it could be a concern getting caught out but I usually travel in a pack or with my wife so we'd hope between us at least one would be able to function for 2.

Martin Hore 18 Nov 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Many thanks. I'll be trying it out on a few mountain days this winter. I don't seek out bad weather in darkness deliberately these days but it will probably happen at some point.

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...