What do you wear?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GaryHW 10 Aug 2022

So at risk of opening a bag of worms but encourage by the woollen debate I thought I'd ask what people wear/recommend for outer layers and footwear?

After a nasty twisted ankle at the weekend up on dartmoor Im in the market for new boots... And while I'm at it thought I might get some outer wear too... Wanna look pretty on my ml training 

guffers_hump 10 Aug 2022
In reply to GaryHW:

For Hiking I wear my Alt-Berg boots. The rand comes over the toe. Had them for 6 years. They have been resoled and new footbeds but the actual boot is still going. Best boots I have ever had. I always try and wear wool socks. (minimum 70% wool) Helps with sweating and my feet not smelling horrific.

Post edited at 12:18
OP GaryHW 10 Aug 2022
In reply to guffers_hump:

Cheers guffers. I had alt ergs in the army sound choice..

guffers_hump 10 Aug 2022
In reply to GaryHW:

Yes the standard hiking ones are a bit nicer on the feet than their military counterparts. The army ones are still good though.

Cameron_S 10 Aug 2022
In reply to GaryHW:

As the question was what do I wear on the hills. For shoes I wear Merrell vapour glove 4 which are a lightweight zero drop shoe with a vibram sole. I have found moving to zero drop little cushion shoes has made my hill going like much better, but they are an adjustment that takes getting used to. 

For me they do the job well for trail running, hiking and especially climbing approaches as they are super light for living on the back of a harness. 

A Downside is they don't have a loop on the back for a biner, so you have to tie a knot in the laces to carry them on a harness. 

Outer layers wise it obviously depends on the weather. This week in the Lakes I've been living in a Patagonia Capilene long sleeve top as we've had hot weather and high UV and I find I don't use enough suncream on my arms out walking and climbing. On my legs I've been in some random crag hopper trousers I found in a charity shop, which isn't much help. 

​​​​​

OP GaryHW 10 Aug 2022
In reply to Cameron_S:

Cheers Cameron,

Every little helps. Generally I wear craghopper trousers but I wasn't sure they'd be up to ml... Wear the bum off a pair scrambling over mol siab once in a very ungainly butt slide down a slab... 

GrahamD 10 Aug 2022
In reply to GaryHW:

Footwear: the basic answer is what you're comfortable in.  Its got to fit you and suit your walking style.  I love my boots but others are happier in lighter shoes. 

Troos:  Bum slides on rock will rag the arse out of any trousers.  Better off not spending too much on them.

Gordonbp 10 Aug 2022
In reply to GaryHW:

What were you in? RE myself....

Gordonbp 10 Aug 2022
In reply to GaryHW:

If you can afford them, Montane Terra pants have reinforcement on the bum, knees and ankles....

kmsands 10 Aug 2022

Scarpa Terra boots are great - comfortable from the off and mine seem to be lasting forever.

OP GaryHW 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

I was a grunt Gordon... Royal anglia regt. 

Gordonbp 11 Aug 2022
In reply to GaryHW:

I was also LI and RGJ TA......

scotthldr 11 Aug 2022
In reply to GaryHW:

Depending on weather

Bottom half: ME Ibex/Montane Terra Pant or Mammut Aenergy shorts

Top half: Rab Flux/Montane Iriduim/ME Ignis LS/ Mammut Aegility SS 

Outerwear ME Karakorum pant/Mammut Meron HS jacket/Rab Cirrus Flex

Boots: Salomon X Ultra4 mids for Summer or Asolo Freney XT GV for Winter

Socks any Bridgedale or Smartwool 

Toerag 11 Aug 2022
In reply to GaryHW:

For what it's worth I thing Meindl boots are good quality. I've a pair of Borneos and find them a bit long and narrow i.e. they're not the perfect fit for me, but they've lasted well. I think I'll get Brashers for my next boot, I've a pair of their shoes and they're very good.

OP GaryHW 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

Cool... Shared Minden with 2 RGJ back in the 80s...

Never had much dealings will LI though... How long you been out? 

In reply to GaryHW:

Whatever my long experience tells me is suitable for the activity in hand...

Gordonbp 11 Aug 2022
In reply to GaryHW:

1980 RE, 83-89 LI and RGJ

OP GaryHW 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Gordonbp:

Seems like we were around about the same time though I left in 99... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...