What camping fuel is available in Canada?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doc_h 08 Apr 2022

Going out to Squamish, Canada in a few months.

Is it easy to get screw on, self sealing gas canisters for a MSR stove in Vancouver or will I have to take an adapter?

What about meths (or whatever it's called there (for a trangia), can that be bought?   

Doug 08 Apr 2022
In reply to doc_h:

https://www.mec.ca/en/products/camping-and-hiking/kitchen-and-hydration/sto...

shows what one of the largest group of Canadian shops (with a branch in Vancouver) sell

George Ormerod 08 Apr 2022
In reply to doc_h:

Screw in gas canisters are easy to get. As is white gas. I’ve never seen meths for sale, but apparently there’s bio fuel ethanol. Though a quick google shows this isn’t widely available. As you’re here for months, and if you’re car camping, I’d buy a 2 burner Coleman stove and propane cylinder which you can get filled cheaply at a lot of garages. 

PaulJepson 08 Apr 2022
In reply to doc_h:

> What about meths (or whatever it's called there (for a trangia), can that be bought?   

They tend to call it different things in North America. Denatured Alcohol, Rubbing Alcohol, etc. but absolutely you will be able to find it at any supermarket in Canada. 

Gas stations may also sell the yellow Heet (gasline cleaner), which burns just as well/better (but a little dirtier) than meths. 

OP doc_h 08 Apr 2022
In reply to all:

Thanks everyone, that's a bit of a relief. I'll be doing some backpacking as well as climbing so my MSR reactor will get used as will my light Whisperlight now I know I can get the gas. Thanks for the link Doug. The Trangia is really for 'base' camping and cooking more elaborate meals. At least I know what to ask for for that now as well.

(Not sure about the two burner Colemands stove though. Sounds a bit too much like Glamping than the wild camping in a tiny tent on a winter mountain that I'm more used to (  ) 

Cheers

obi-wan nick b 12 Apr 2022
In reply to PaulJepson: the yellow  Heet is methanol and gives off toxic fumes when it burns so definitely not recommended. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...