Weatherproof packs - worth it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

What are the collective's thoughts on weatherproof packs like the ME Tupilak or Arc'teryx Alpha FL are worth the expense?

Considering getting a 30L-ish one for Scottish winter and general mountain usage - not carrying a soggy pack and lots of dry bags inside is quite appealing.

TobyA 20 Oct 2021
In reply to featuresforfeet:

How old is your current pack? I can hardly remember when I last had a pack that seemed to hold water in the fabric. All the packs I've reviewed in recent years have the same kind of material as the models you mention, and water just seems to roll off.

Eduardo2010 20 Oct 2021

I have an Exped Mountain Pro 40. Feels like a normal pack but is almost waterproof, does up like a dry bag. Negligible weight difference. Great fastening mechanism.

It is £££ but the best I have had, really well designed. Have had it for 10 years, including Glastonbury and up the Jungfrau.

brianjcooper 20 Oct 2021

As TobyA says above.

I use a plastic 'rubble' bag inside my rucksack which works well and is robust and inexpensive to replace to keep everything dry.

Babika 20 Oct 2021
In reply to brianjcooper:

Ditto. 

Rather than lots of small dry bags I just have 1 huge one inside. 

The New NickB 20 Oct 2021
In reply to Eduardo2010:

Loved my Mountain Pro 40, got it half price as well. Unfortunately, however burgled my house about 5 years ago liked it as well.

The New NickB 20 Oct 2021
In reply to Babika:

Good thing about that is that you can seal the dry bag inside and put a wet jacket or rope in the sack without everything getting wet.

In reply to TobyA:

I've got a 10 year old Mammut ski-touring pack - it's a bit hydrophobic but have definitely had it get soaked through in the rain.

Kryank 20 Oct 2021

I have a Deuter Guide 35+ that I use in winter months that I love and is absolutely bomb proof it’s the older model you can find on sale https://www.outside.co.uk/deuter-guide-35-alpine-rucksack.html

my smaller dry(er) weather day bags (Osprey Mutant 22 & Talon 22 ) are not water proof and I use a 20L dry bag inside them. I wouldn’t be without my deuter in winter though.  

crayefish 20 Oct 2021

I use a fully rainproof pack which is PU lined and seam sealed (Crux AK57) and its great.  Have left it outside in a downpour overnight when tent/porch space was tight.  However, I still use thin drybags inside for stuff management... all colour coordinated of course for quick searching.  Only thing which isn't in a drybag is my stove, all the rest is.  I think its worth the expense but that's just me.

Alpkit gourdon is the obvious answer if you only need 30L.

In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I’m on my second 20L one of those - great packs but not that comfy if loaded up.

JohnnyW 21 Oct 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Another shout for the Crux AK47.

How any of you get a winter's day kit in a 30ltr, and still have room to faff whilst it blows a hoolie beats me.

Anyway, the thing I struggle with, as I work out of my van for many weeks a year, is the actual sack being wet, rather than the contents. I hear Toby, that some of them seem to shed water, but many do not, and the foam soaks it up, only to deposit it/let it evaporate all in my van, adding to the dampness.

The Crux is wipe down, and then dry, so great. I have found that internal condensation is an issue, so it is important to empty the gear out, and then leave it open for a short while to let the temperature level up, and then you don't get puddles.

galpinos 21 Oct 2021

I've got a Tupliak and really like it. Still undecided on the internal dray bag bit (pain when dry, really handy when wet/winter) but apart from that, a surprisingly comfy carry so much a minimalist pack and good features.

Fabric wise, the "outer" does wet out eventually (though dries quickly) but it doesn't get wet inside. Even sat in the bottom of a puddle in a wet canoe this summer it kept the contents pretty dry (seam leak).

HeMa 21 Oct 2021

I'd say, that the weatherproof/waterproof is certainly not the deciding factor, at least for day stuff (with a small change of getting benighted). If you'd be planning on doing high level mountaineering/alpine climbs wit h bivies... then having a waterproof sack to keep yer stuff might be valuable.

But as that was not specified, I'd say that is not an issue.

As others have toted, pretty much all modern mountaineering backpacks will keep rain out (through the fabric). Plus the main part of the bag is just one big portion, so keeping stuff (like spare enderlayer shirt for climbing, spare gloves) in an easily found locations often means some kind of totes/drybags.

That being said, 'Ryx Alpha -series bags are really nice, but I'd pick them cause they have the features you wan't.... Not due to them being "waterproof".

Toerag 21 Oct 2021
In reply to brianjcooper:

> I use a plastic 'rubble' bag inside my rucksack which works well and is robust and inexpensive to replace to keep everything dry.

I've got my scouts to use a binsack for years and we've never had any kit get wet.

brianjcooper 21 Oct 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

> Good thing about that is that you can seal the dry bag inside and put a wet jacket or rope in the sack without everything getting wet.

If I have wet kit I just close the 'rubble' bag and place it on top of it in the sack before closing the sack.  Works for me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...