WC Tech Friend - Broken Wire: trigger repair kit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 badgerjockey 09 Apr 2019

Hi all,

One of the trigger wires on my size 4 Technical Friend has broken from the swage. 

Before I try a home repair with some garden wire, has anyone got a repair kit lying around randomly that they want to sell me?? It appears WC don't make the kits any more for these old cams - the latest kits won't fit them.

Or, maybe someone has had good results bodging it somehow?

I'll get my pliers...

H

MarkAstley 09 Apr 2019
In reply to badgerjockey:

Remove the broken wire and the other bit that's not broken with some grass strimmer plastic wire, 'blob' the ends with heat to stop them pulling back through.

Worked for me.

Mark

Jon Read 09 Apr 2019
In reply to MarkAstley:

Exactly what I do. Works a treat.

Alex Riley 09 Apr 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

V12 had a few repair kits in stock the other day, not sure what size they had though.

Mark Kemball 09 Apr 2019
In reply to MarkAstley:

How exactly do you use heat to "blob" the ends? When I tried this, I found the ends tended to snap off and so put a knot in the end instead. A blob would be much tidier.

JohnO1978 10 Apr 2019
In reply to badgerjockey:

I actually may have a repair kit for the old friends, I dont have the actual friends anymore so if I have I will let you know and you can have it for postage (which wont be much!) 

OP badgerjockey 10 Apr 2019
In reply to JohnO1978:

Great! I wait with baited breath...

MarkAstley 10 Apr 2019
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I just held the heat source close to the end so it softened and melted a bit, I might have heated a knife blade over the cooker and pushed the end of the strimmer wire onto that so it flattened the end slightly

Doesn't need to be much of a blob to stop it pulling through.

Cheers

mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...