WC Tech fr 5 - new vs old - range

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lithos 18 Sep 2020

Hi

I have a WC tech friend 5 (large red) of the older version (i think) The new version which looks identical from photos has a much greater range - is this really right? They havent got double axles or anything though they appear to have very similar numbers to the Camalots/Dragon equiv.,  did they just revamp it when dong the helium range  or change their minds or ... ?

OLD: 89 .. 117

NEW: 84 .. 138

maybe Beardy Mike has sone inside info

beardy mike 18 Sep 2020
In reply to lithos:

As far as I know there have been no tech friends 5&6 made in half a decade? But I'm not in with WC so no idea whether something has changed recently.

OP lithos 18 Sep 2020
In reply to beardy mike:

thanks, probably correct as they don't seem to be on sale now.  i thought you may know about a re-design a while  back or a change of range measurement. I am looking at things like cam comparison charts/sites. eg (https://camparator.com/compare/active/selection/?i13=1&i132=1&i14=1...)

mine looks just like this red one (reviewed in 2012) https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/protection/wild_country_big_friend...

was there a really old version of the 5&6 that looked different. or maybe i can measure mine - not sure how the max is measured)  I need a cam museum website

thanks again

Timmd 18 Sep 2020
In reply to lithos:

AFAIK the red 5's were always the same since they were first introduced, and the green 6's were, and then they stopped making them.

Post edited at 19:58
OP lithos 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Timmd:

yeah thanks, thats what it looks like from pictures, I dont understand the cam charts, maybe they are just wrong. I measured my cam  and i wouldn't want to use it at 138 but looks good to 130

Timmd 18 Sep 2020
In reply to lithos:

I guess that at some point there was a name change when other friends were added, so that the old 5 became a 4, but I think the classic red one was always the same. 

beardy mike 18 Sep 2020
In reply to lithos:

I will admit that when I first got on board there the sizing charts were quite optimistic...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...