Waterproof paper for (laser) printing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 04 Jan 2022

I am looking to buy a colour laser printer (settling on Brother HL-L3230CDW, any reason not to?). I'd like to print the map on waterproof paper - I don't get on well with the map cases and for running, it's much easier to be able to tuck an A4-sized map.

I can find:

• Rite in the Rain: 75gsm, £39.99/200 sheets, 20p/sheet
  • Zecom: 165gsm, £34/100 sheets, 34p/sheet
  • Toughprint: 175gsm, £18.99/25 sheets, 76p/sheet

I don't find much information on comparing them all - any experience with any of them would be great. 

Thanks

sam@work 04 Jan 2022
In reply to PPP:

https://www.yorksurvey.co.uk/a4-waterproof-paper-c2x22610191

i use this stuff for drawing on when i work in the rain...

Fatal 04 Jan 2022
In reply to PPP:

I guess the waterproof paper will behave nicely when wet

BUT what about printer ink ? This is an area where (I guess) printer/ink technology may be important : e.g. laser (no longer widely used ?) vs. Ink or sublimation or whatever…

frecro 04 Jan 2022
In reply to PPP:

We laser print onto this stuff for work. Works absolutely perfectly, never had any suggestion of colours running or anything. Great for writing on compared to some more 'plastic' feeling papers - use pencil or uniball power tank pressurised pens.

https://www.aquascribe.co.uk/aqualaser-paper-8-c.asp

kevin stephens 04 Jan 2022
In reply to PPP: how about getting a laminator? Works well for sea kayaking maps and charts

jethro kiernan 05 Jan 2022
In reply to PPP:

I use the tough print for maps, works well and not had any problem ( don’t use a laser printer)

OP PPP 05 Jan 2022
In reply to frecro:

Many thanks. managed to get a wee sample on eBay… alongside of Rite in the Rain for comparison. 

It will be interesting to see how it performs - have high hopes!

In reply to kevin stephens:

> how about getting a laminator?

Or use self-adhesive book cover which is nice and supple.

HardenClimber 05 Jan 2022
In reply to PPP:

I use the Toughprint for caving topos. It works really well. The laser version is excellent (and the paper is indestructable). The inkjet paper also works well, but when folded and wet there is minor print across.

Laminates are good but stiffer and when they fail the contents fail. Not so good for stuffing in a pocket.

Good prices on Ordnance Survey we site.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...