Waterproof Gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 16 Dec 2020

In the last 18 months I have bought 5 pairs of 'waterproof' gloves.

Sealskinz (2 types), Extremities (2 types), and some called Londatek Sport.

None are waterproof. 10 minutes in pouring rain on Kinder, with water running down my waterproof jacket arms, seeping dishearteningly through all gloves, then slowly freezing the fingers is an all too familiar feeling. Followed by repeated wringing out of said glove/sponges.

So I'm looking for personal recommendations please, or do I have to cut my losses and go for the ungainly nylon mitt over the gloves?

Harry Jarvis 16 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

I've recently bought a pair of these Outdoor Research gloves:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/socks-gloves-mitts-hat...

They haven't been tested in extremis yet, but I'm hopeful. 

scope 16 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

Unfortunately, all gloves come with big holes in them where you put your hands in, and therefore aren't waterproof.

Kalna_kaza 16 Dec 2020
In reply to scope:

Very true. For big days out I pack several pairs and change after a few hours of them being wet. The extra weight penalty is worth it knowing that you still have functioning hands. 

I often go for a combination of a thin cheap pair non-waterproof with a thin mitt on top, depending on the forecast and temperature.

PaulJepson 16 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

AKP posted recently about using vapour barrier gloves, both against skin and on top of your insulation layer. Was quite interesting and something I would potentially employ, depending on the activity. 

Andy Manthorpe 16 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

The only truly waterproof gloves I've come across are heavy duty rubber washing up gloves. I used to use them when caving. If you size them to go over a non waterproof glove but keep them comfortably "tight" you don't loose much dexterity. Availble in pink, yellow and black at your local shop ! Cheap too.

nniff 16 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

BD Punishers have always been good for me

olddirtydoggy 16 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

The Rab factory shop in Alfreton has a load of Pivot gloves at half price. They are an insulated winter glove. We gave them a good test at the weekend in torrential rain near Bleaklow and came back dry. The Sealskins are limited in their durability.

In reply to Fredt:

Showa 282 Temres gloves have worked very well for me. Insulated, waterproof, breathable, dextrous and less than £20. Also Showa 406 which are waterproof and breathable but don't have such a long gauntlet bit.

crayefish 16 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

I've had an issue with my glove setting damp... though from sweat most likely.  For years I had cold hands on climbs, even with the best goretex gloves.

Now I climb with 4 pairs of gloves and have never had cold hands since (ok, except once with -40 at 6000m).  Typically 1 lighter pair for approach, 1 pair for the climb, 1 pair for descent, and 1 pair backup.  Moment my hands get cold I swap gloves.   So, maybe just get cheaper gloves and change often? 

Alkis 16 Dec 2020
In reply to scope:

That certainly can be an issue but it is not the issue with any of the ones I've had fail. If the water is coming in through the top, your wrist and palm are getting wet and your fingers start dry and eventually get wet. What has happened with all of mine apart from my Rab Guide gauntlets which are still waterproof AF*, the wrist an palm remain totally dry but fingers get wet. 

* They are also really warm, so better not walk in with them, then I *do* get wet fingers because of sweat instead... :-P

Post edited at 17:45
 angry pirate 16 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

I've found a pair of extremities tuff bags to be the best solution for dry hands in minging conditions. Thin goretex paclite mitts which I can wear a variety of gloves /mitt combos underneath.

I've got wet far too many times in gloves to have any faith. All those taped seams round each finger is an obvious fail point.

SFM 16 Dec 2020
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I’ve been using Showa gloves for a few years too now. I even wore them on my last MM. Maybe not so breathable but definitely waterproof. 

elliot.baker 16 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

I have the answer!!! I promise. The answer is waterproof MITTENS! These cost £20 from Go-outdoors. 

I swear on my life they are bomb-proof. I've walked for a full day, perhaps 8 hours, in the lakes in pouring rain, snow, wind everything and they never give up. I simply can't rate them highly enough. I always take them out on 'proper' hikes now.

The other two benefits I've found with these over gloves is:

1) They are easy to take on and put off even when your hands are cold and/or wet (I mean wet because you've not had them on).

2) you can take your fingers out of the mitt bit then your hand is in it's own comfortable, toasty little place all dry and snug.

I would give these mittens 11 out of 10.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906588/oex-summit-waterproof-mitts-15906588/...

Removed User 16 Dec 2020
In reply to pancakeandchips:

> Showa 282 Temres gloves have worked very well for me. Insulated, waterproof, breathable, dextrous and less than £20. Also Showa 406 which are waterproof and breathable but don't have such a long gauntlet bit.

These. Originally from the off-shore fishing industry, there's an outdoor-specific one now too with a draw closure. They have -60 on the packet which is impressive.

Dave the Rave 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

Buffalo mitts. Your hands will get wet but you’re not made of sugar. Your hands will stay warm. If it’s very cold take a couple of pairs and even layer them up.

Trangia 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

Try Sea Gloves, the ones worn by RNLI crews who have to operate in cold seas with constant water immersion and splash. Not designed to be completely waterproof, but more importantly designed for warmth and grip.

yorkshire_lad2 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

> The only truly waterproof gloves I've come across are heavy duty rubber washing up gloves. I used to use them when caving. If you size them to go over a non waterproof glove but keep them comfortably "tight" you don't loose much dexterity. Availble in pink, yellow and black at your local shop ! Cheap too.

+1

A pair of Marigolds (with a pair of thin liner gloves underneath for warmth).  Waterproof. Weigh very little.  Cost very little.  If you want heavy duty version, there's usually something in the DIY stores.  Not very sexy/trendy and don't have the huge price tag of most outdoor gear for much the same thing.

Rob Exile Ward 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

I've got some Extremities Windstopper gloves and they are worse that frigging useless. Once they get wet they stay wet, your hands get colder and colder and you can't taken them off and on without a mighty struggle.

The next pair I am likely to buy are some Dachstein gloves, which, if they're anything like the mitts we used for years, will still be warm however wet they get.

RBK 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Removed Userwaitout: Have you got a link to the ones with the drawcord closure? I can't see them on their website.

> These. Originally from the off-shore fishing industry, there's an outdoor-specific one now too with a draw closure. They have -60 on the packet which is impressive.

In reply to RBK:

https://www.showagroup.com/us/en/product/en/insulated-thermal-gloves-282-02

I found them after the mention above. Already requested a sample They look like the ultimate glove to me, although I'll miss the acid-bath-murderer blue.

jimtitt 17 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

You only wander around on Kinder, you should try riding a motorbike! I use some from Held but there are other companies that use GoreTex Grip which is a 3d laminated material specifically for gloves. Haven't let me down yet though a pair of overmitts are still in reserve. The price may not be what you are looking for, RRP around €180.

Removed User 17 Dec 2020
In reply to RBK:

Sorry for the delay, yes that link shows them. 

They do unlined ones too that work well with a liner.

Removed User 18 Dec 2020
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

Forgot; they're useless to abseil in, you'll still need something for that.

HeMa 18 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

get short gauntlet waterproof gloves and place the gauntlet under the jacket sleeve.

DaveHK 18 Dec 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> you’re not made of sugar. 

I'm mostly slugs and snails and puppy dog's tails.

BuzyG 19 Dec 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:

> I have the answer!!! I promise. The answer is waterproof MITTENS! These cost £20 from Go-outdoors. 

> I swear on my life they are bomb-proof. I've walked for a full day, perhaps 8 hours, in the lakes in pouring rain, snow, wind everything and they never give up. I simply can't rate them highly enough. I always take them out on 'proper' hikes now.

> The other two benefits I've found with these over gloves is:

> 1) They are easy to take on and put off even when your hands are cold and/or wet (I mean wet because you've not had them on).

> 2) you can take your fingers out of the mitt bit then your hand is in it's own comfortable, toasty little place all dry and snug.

> I would give these mittens 11 out of 10.

I went to Go outdoors today to buy some of these.  They don't fit my large hands even without my gloves on.  So try before you buy. 

Picked up a DMM Wallnut set while I was there though so not a wasted trip.

yorkshire_lad2 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

Just had Trail Feb 2021 (I have no connection with Trail other than as a subscriber) through my letterbox which has a review of Winter Gloves.  Results are below (sorry for the crap formatting, couldn't find a way to tabulate/html it on UKH).   YL

Rab Storm £45 76%
Columbia Whirlibird £45 80%
Keela Extreme £50 72%
Extremeties Torres Peak £60 84% Best Value
Montane Tornado £75 80%
Sealskins Waterproof Cold Weather Glove with Fusion Control £75 72%
Black Diamond Pursuit £85 84% Best in Test
Outdoor Research Highcamp £90 84%

SouthernSteve 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

Large Marigolds (preferably in pink) are the answer.

I like non-waterproof gloves and waterproof mitts, there is a better chance of them staying waterproof and they often have long cuffs.

Ciro 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

> In the last 18 months I have bought 5 pairs of 'waterproof' gloves.

> Sealskinz (2 types), Extremities (2 types), and some called Londatek Sport.

> None are waterproof. 10 minutes in pouring rain on Kinder, with water running down my waterproof jacket arms, seeping dishearteningly through all gloves, then slowly freezing the fingers is an all too familiar feeling. Followed by repeated wringing out of said glove/sponges.

> So I'm looking for personal recommendations please, or do I have to cut my losses and go for the ungainly nylon mitt over the gloves?

I'm surprised to hear that, I had a pair of sealskinz years ago, that stayed dry cycle commuting for 30 minutes each way in all weathers over two or three winters before they got worn out. Also handled longer training rides well... I still remember the first time they actually got wet through - London to Portsmouth in pretty terrible conditions. Was several hours in before I noticed any discomfort.

Either they changed significantly, or you've been unlucky with duds damaged during distribution or use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...