Waterproof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MrToffee 14 Nov 2019

Is it worth purchasing waterproof socks as extra layer of protection? Sealskinz etc 

anyone recommend any if its worth investing in some 

Removed User 14 Nov 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

I've a couple of pairs - works quite well with liner socks. As well as Sealskinz I've been using a cheaper version from Aldi's for the past year which, at only £12.99 a pair, do just as well, so well that I've bought another two pairs. Quite cost effective, as it effectively extends the life of my leaky walking boots. Note that they are not as warm as standard walking socks though.

UKH Forums 14 Nov 2019
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
MrToffee 14 Nov 2019
In reply to Removed Userrabthecairnterrier:

Thanks mate I’ll have a look in the local Aldi see if they have any to try. Are the sealskinz warmer for the winter than the Aldi socks ? 

Andypeak 14 Nov 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

The bridgedale ones are actually sock shaped unlike several of the other brands. 

rlocock 14 Nov 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

Showerpass are good in my experience.

Prof. Outdoors 14 Nov 2019
In reply to Removed Userrabthecairnterrier:

Your experience is contrary to mine. My Aldi ones quickly leaked and the outer fabric itself wore through alarming quickly exposing the membrane. The Aldi ones look like they could could be made by Dexshell. My Sealskinz are more robust and warmer to boot if you pardon the expression.

Other Aldi stuff, especially some of their cycling kit has been excellent.

To the OP. Membrane socks have a very hard life, flexing all the time, compressed and rubbing against the shoe material. They are good but don't expect miracles.

Post edited at 20:51
MrToffee 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I guess its going to be trial and error!

oldie 18 Nov 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

I sometimes just use medium weight poly bags over my socks. Keeps feet much warmer when cold water is getting into boots. 

BnB 19 Nov 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

> Is it worth purchasing waterproof socks as extra layer of protection? Sealskinz etc 

> anyone recommend any if its worth investing in some 

Why not invest in waterproof boots? As in rub some nikwax all over them? Much more comfortable for your feet than sealing them in a poly bag/waterproof sock. Perspiration can wick up and out through woollen socks.

Post edited at 08:57
MrToffee 19 Nov 2019
In reply to BnB:

True! My current boots are waterproof just that extra layer of protection if needed pal

Frank R. 20 Nov 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

That would, IMO, be a bad idea. WPB socks are intended and work reasonably well in trainers or other highly breathable shoes. Layering two WPB membranes (one in boots, one in socks) would be just like wearing two waterproof jackets at once - make you just more sweaty, wet, cold and probably quite miserable.

Rigid Raider 20 Nov 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

I tried them for cycling and quickly gave up - water ran down my legs and inside the socks, which turned into a wetsuit with my regular socks inside soaked. Hopeless. 

gravy 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I also use them fo cycling and like RR says they can fill up if it is arsing down with rain but in the more usual situation of getting wet from spray and puddles they work great.

MrToffee 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Frank R.:

Great point Frank!

deepsoup 20 Nov 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

I've been through quite a few pairs of Sealskinz socks for running.  They always leak after a few trips, the membrane is just too fragile to last long under your feet.  But they still help to keep your feet warm, like a wetsuit, by preventing cold water from 'flushing' through.

Lately I've taken to using a slightly more hi-tech version of plastic bags - https://www.chillcheater.com/gloves-and-footwear/aquatherm-socks

They're virtually indestructible and completely waterproof.  Also completely unbreathable so feet always end up being a bit damp anyway, but comfortable with woolly socks inside.  I only run for a maximum of a couple of hours at a time, so no idea how my feet would hold up if I wore them all day.

c9smith8 20 Nov 2019
In reply to MrToffee:

I would recommend owning a pair, but I try not to use them by default. They aren't very breathable, not the comfiest/warmest and the membrane can get damaged in them quite easily (never walk around a hut/campsite etc in them - take them off with your boots)

I tend to bring them with me on a trip and only ever use them if my boots have been soaked through the previous day to avoid a full day of squelching. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...