Watch recommendations??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenorVivo 09 Jan 2023

New Watch - hi all.  I've been using a Suunto Ambit for years, but they seem to have completely stopped supporting it in any way.  

Thinking of maybe getting a Garmin which would work better with InReach, for example.   Any suggestions?   Primarily for ski-touring and mountaineering.   Ideally with a battery which doesn't die in a day.  

Mr Fuller 09 Jan 2023
In reply to SenorVivo:

I’m still using an Ambit 2 and to be honest I use it in exactly the same way as I always have with the exception of plotting routes and getting them on the watch, which I agree is a right faff now. Apart from that I don’t think Suunto’s changed level of support have changed much?

If you have an Android phone then the third party Ambit app is an excellent way to get data off the watch without a computer, though you can’t use it to put stuff onto the watch. 

But I will watch this thread to see what watches people suggest…

crayefish 09 Jan 2023
In reply to SenorVivo:

Garmin Instinct.  Connects to InReach devices, tough as old boots, amazing battery life, basic mapping.  Perfect for what you need (I use it for the same).

dread-i 09 Jan 2023
In reply to SenorVivo:

I cant suggest a model, but on that rain forest shopping site, search for Garmin refurbished and also Garmin renewed.

I got a Fenix a few years ago, a couple of hundred pounds less than retail and not a scratch on it, with good battery. Also an Oregon GPS, good as new. There used to be a web site, but I cant find it now. But I think you get better protection from that shopping site anyway.

bouldery bits 09 Jan 2023
In reply to crayefish:

Garmin Instinct is great for what you want. 

midgen 09 Jan 2023
In reply to SenorVivo:

I got a Fenix 6 pro second hand last year and it's been great, I really like having maps and routes on the wrist, less faffing.

Taken the time to put some training programs on it this winter and found it really useful. Battery lasts a couple of weeks of regular use, a few days when using GPS.

Wouldn't pay full price for one, but very happy with it at a bit less than 300 I think I paid.

echo34 09 Jan 2023
In reply to SenorVivo:

I went from Ambit 3 to Fenix 6 pro. It’s very good. You can get the 6 for a very good price now as the 7 is out, 7 has a light and touch screen and a few extra features that don’t add much value. The Fenix is easy to use and works very well, maps are great, battery lasts ages!

Suunto seem to have fallen behind quite a lot now since they were acquired by Amer.

Post edited at 22:22
 99ster 09 Jan 2023
In reply to SenorVivo:

I moved from a Suunto Ambit to a Garmin Instinct Solar a couple years, as the Ambit was getting a bit long in the tooth and Suunto's software & support had become dreadful, and also because I have both a Garmin InReach and a Garmin bike computer & they all 'talk' to each other perfectly (so it made a lot of sense to have a Garmin GPS watch too).  And the Garmin Connect app experience has been very good. 

But....have recently upgraded to a Garmin Instinct Solar 2 - which is significant improvement.  I would definitely recommend paying the extra for the '2'.

Post edited at 23:31
 Kai 10 Jan 2023
In reply to SenorVivo:

I have a Garmin Tactix Delta Solar.

Love it.  

GPS works well.  Fitness tracking works well.  Good phone apps that integrate with the watch.  Good battery life.

artif 10 Jan 2023
In reply to SenorVivo:

> New Watch - hi all.  I've been using a Suunto Ambit for years, but they seem to have completely stopped supporting it in any way.  

> Thinking of maybe getting a Garmin which would work better with InReach, for example.   Any suggestions?   Primarily for ski-touring and mountaineering.   Ideally with a battery which doesn't die in a day.  

Replaced my Ambit Peak 3 HR early last year for the same reason, bought a Fenix 6X Pro Solar. Very pleased with the upgrade. One caution, the bezel is lower on the Garmin and I scratched the face soon after purchase, very minor but never managed to scratch the Suunto during years of abuse at work and play. Cut some screen protectors out of 3M Heli tape which seems to have saved it from further damage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...