Watch for navigation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Domimik_t 18 Nov 2019

Hello all, 

Can anyone recommend me smart watch with step by step navigation for hiking? I don't need to see full map just be able to import gpx file and follow the route - somethings like Viewranger app.

I know Viewranger is supported by WearOs smartwatch but can't find any with barometer.

Also I am just beginner and just starting to explore beauty of mountains so not looking for something ridiculously expensive. 

I don't mind if it needs to be paired with phone all the time, just want to see direction to next waypoint and be able to say if I am going off track.

Thanks, 

Dominik 

Stegosaur 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Domimik_t:

> Watch for navigation

Hold watch horizontally (flat).

Point the hour hand towards the sun.

Halfway between there and 12 o'clock* is (approximately) south.

*During daylight saving time use 1 o'clock instead.

DaveHK 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Stegosaur:

It was a smart watch not a smart arse he was asking for.

Stegosaur 19 Nov 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

My mistake. The advantage of the analogue method is there's no gpx files to import, apps to load, gps to rely on, and it doesn't need to be paired with anything. It just needs winding up occasionally (much like ukc posters).

wilkesley 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Domimik_t:

If you are just starting out, forget all the latest tech which needs a battery and learn to use a map and compass first.

Domimik_t 19 Nov 2019
In reply to wilkesley:

I need to get smartwatch anyway so though I will pick some for hiking as well. 

Dark-Cloud 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Domimik_t:

Fenix 5x, 5 plus or 6

geordiepie 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Domimik_t:

Garmin Fenix - even the older models are decent so just get the latest one you can afford.

Bob Kemp 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Stegosaur:

Us UKC posters don't need any winding up... always fully charged and ready to fight with our own shadows!

alimckay 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Domimik_t:

Casio protrek smart uses WearOS so is compatible with the ViewRanger app. Also has barometer/altimeter and compass functionality. 

The F20 model can be found for around £200 or the new F30 is £350 with better battery.

ElArt 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Stegosaur:

Genius

LucaC 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Stegosaur:

Perfect for use in all weather and at night, exactly when any extra navigational tools are helpful. Oh wait...

In reply to Stegosaur:

I am a big fan of old fashioned, simple methods. The time honoured pairing of map and compass takes a lot of beating IMO and it's still my preference. I often walk in the last couple of hours of daylight, and knowing that the sun sets in the NW in the summer and the SW in the winter (in the UK) is useful. When I get my compass out, I usually take a bearing on the sun for greater accuracy. I like to be continually aware of the direction in which I am walking, so as not to make silly and time-wasting mistakes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...