Washing rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alex_frost33 07 Jul 2020

Hello,

I think my rope may be due for its first wash. It certainly feels more grubby than when it was new. 
I've read the UKC guide and the Mammut instructions.  (The link in the UKC article is dead)

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/skills/washing_ropes-202

https://www.mammut.com/uk/en/care-instructions-ropes/

The UKC article calls for soap flakes or Nikwax.  Mammut calls for mild detergent. 

Can anyone recommend a suitable product available in the Uk?

A read of this website says that soap flakes won’t be produced anymore (& I cant see anything for sale at Asda / Tesco)

https://www.dri-pak.co.uk/where-have-dry-soap-flakes-gone/

What about this?

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-original-liquid-soapflakes-750ml/p/041241...

Thanks!

Kevster 07 Jul 2020
In reply to alex_frost33:

When ever I have washed a rope, it's not handled the same afterwards. 

Exactly how dirty is it? Does the dirt actually matter?

If it's been battered, maybe buy a new one? Or at least prepare yourself for the possibility that you may be buying a new one. 

When I climbed lots, I had a succession of ropes. The good new ones for outside, the older ones for redpointing sport routes, the older ones with bits chopped off the ends for indoors and then the remains for setting up abs, top ropes and hammocks, tow ropes etc etc

Although I've had dirty hands from my sport ropes, I think the issue is more the belay device leaving residue through wear than the rope picking up real dirt. 

Trad ropes don't seem to get dirty or stiff in quite the same way. They get warn out or just replaced due to age generally.

Not so helpful with the soap flakes, but I'd probably just buy new ropes if they were that bad

tehmarks 07 Jul 2020

I use Tech Wash (and for ropes which are likely to get wet, I usually reproof them at the same time), though I'd also be happy using Marseille soap. Get a bar of it, flake some off yourself, dissolve it in boiling water and allow to cool. Voila. Works equally well for clothes and people too.

If you're going to put it in the washing machine, make sure the machine is thoroughly cleaned of previous detergent residue before you start. I've only washed a rope in a washing machine once (out of desperation), but despite giving the machine a good clean beforehand it came out softer than Andrex. I reckon the bath tub is a better option if you have the option. If you do go with the washing machine, if you chain sinnet the rope you won't have to deal with a tangled nightmare and it will dry quite conveniently like that too.

brianjcooper 08 Jul 2020

I bought a 1 litre bottle of Beal's rope cleaner (£12.50) , which will last for many washes, and a rope brush that they make. Both from GO Outdoors. Not sure they are still trading, but other outlets should exist. My ropes were fine after hand washing and rinsing them.   

PaulW 08 Jul 2020

Beal rope cleaner and straight in the washing machine for me. Put the rope in a pillow case to avoid too many kinks.

Tigger 08 Jul 2020

You can still ger soap flakes btw unfortunately you'll have to order online and maybe use Amazon though there are indepandant suppliers i think. They're what we usually use.

Couple of tips though

1) put the machine on an empty boild wash first and clean out the powder tray.

2) daisy chain the ropes.

3) get some beal rope marker as the center marker may fade.

4) Don't use spin cycle if putting the ropes in a mesh / net bag. I did once, forgot to put it on rise only and at 1600 rpm the machine walked / vibrated halfway across the kitchen due to uneven load in the machine.

I've also just soaked them in the bath with soap flakes or tech wash for a while, then used a beal rope brush on them, took a while but it works.

mik82 08 Jul 2020

The dri-pak liquid soap is fine -it's just soap dissolved in water. It's pretty useful stuff as it's good for washing merino and waterproofs too. 

C Witter 08 Jul 2020

I just wash mine in the bath with baby shampoo, rubbing any particularly dirty bits with my hand and rinsing it well afterward. I then let it do a bit of drying in the bath, before putting it on a drying frame/clothes horse next t a dehumidifier. The amount of dirt you can get out can be astounding - e.g.  a 70m sport rope that had been used for a week on dusty Spanish crags took a couple of goes to get all the grit and dust out. I've not had any handling issues afterward. I think it actually improves handling, to be honest.

Post edited at 08:54
 nikoid 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Kevster:

I agree, I'm not sure washing does much good. The only time I wash a rope is if it has got sea water on it which makes the rope stiff and sticky. Then I just put it in the machine on a rinse wash, no detergent. Then lay it out on the patio in the shade on a warm day to dry.

Tesco do/did a pure soap liquid. I got some a while back as it was recommended for stuff like this.

gethin_allen 08 Jul 2020

I've used that Wilko soap on ropes and it works fine (not died yet).

It's also good for washing merino wool clothing.

Cobra_Head 08 Jul 2020

Washing machine, with just a teaspoon of powder, cool wash, full spin not rope bag or pillow case.

the ropes get's proper tangled up sometimes, but so what?

No issues with handling afterwards.

oldie 08 Jul 2020
In reply to nikoid:

> I agree, I'm not sure washing does much good. <

A main thing that we are sometimes warned about is grit getting in the rope and causing damage. I can't see that soap or detergent would necessarily help remove this any better than just water. However I'm no expert. 

GrahamD 08 Jul 2020

I've only ever done mine in water in a washing machine rinse/spin cycle. 

Looping the rope before you put it in the machine stops it tangling.  Hard to explain this but basically halve the rope, tie an overhang in the middle, then push a loop of rope through this, then a loop through that loop etc until all the rope is done.

nikoid 08 Jul 2020
In reply to oldie:

Yes detergent will remove grease and oils, mechanical action from a washing machine or rope brush will be better for dislodging gritty or sandy material. I've not seen compelling evidence that grit in ropes actually causes significant damage. I would have thought that other factors will limit the life of a rope long before a bit of grit does. I know there is an argument that dirty ropes cause wear on metal items, but hey ho.

Pigeon Reaper 09 Jul 2020

I have the joy of washing a few km of rope every now and then due to being in a rescue group. Beal rope wash is good. I tend to use it in an old bin and a sweeping brush to agitate the ropes and get rid of some of the contamination/muck. Then run it through a rope brush into a bin of fresh water for a rinse before hanging to dry in the station garage. Most ropes will never feel the same after a wash as any factory applied coatings will probably be removed and some ropes will shrink a small amount increasing the friction on them. The team ropes get replaced fairly regularly so we're not worried about shortening working life on them.

For my personal climbing ropes I just rinse in fresh water and use the rope brush to get grit out. These ropes life a live of luxury compared to the team rescue ones.  

Dirt matters, grit will kill your ropes quickly and does wonders to metal gear when run through it embedded on a rope. If you get anything especially nasty on the ropes retire them as it can reduce the strength a lot. If climbing sea cliffs be careful of the ropes getting salt into them. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...