Washing Paramo Nikwax top

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 05 Dec 2018

Bit of a mad idea, but this jacket has intense stains due to overuse. i.e. living in it.

How bad an idea is it to put it through a regular wash at 40 degrees with Sainsburies concentrated washing liquid, the purple stuff.

Simply thought I'd float this idea on here to see the response.

(The real solution would be to spend 400 notes on a new one....)

nathan79 05 Dec 2018
In reply to The Ice Doctor:

Precisely the right way to go about it. Wash with a regular detergent, liquid soap wash then reproof. Should get rid of most if not all stains.

Removed User 05 Dec 2018
In reply to nathan79:

> Precisely the right way to go about it. Wash with a regular detergent, liquid soap wash then reproof. Should get rid of most if not all stains.

I'll second that. Works for me.

Simon Caldwell 06 Dec 2018

There's no way I'd use any non-soap detergent on my Paramo jacket, but I find that just normal soap gets in clean anyway. I'd rather have a few cosmetic stains than end up with a leaky jacket.

Ridge 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I take your point, but the idea is the detergent strips off the dirt (plus the DWR), the soap wash removes the detergent so it doesn't cause the fabric to wet out, the the nikwax wash restores the DWR.

Simon Caldwell 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Ridge:

I'm probably risk averse after doing that with my old OMM jacket, and it now leaks like a sieve.

Andy Hardy 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Ridge:

The soap removes the detergent? I always thought soap was detergent!

Ridge 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> The soap removes the detergent? I always thought soap was detergent!

Detergent is a wetting agent, which is how it removes the dirt to some extent. However that's not good for waterproofs as it stops the water beading and breaks down the surface tension so it soaks into the fabric.

Soap, and the expensive waterproof cleaners, don't do that (which is why it doesn't clean as well as a detergent does).

Andy Hardy 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Ridge:

Every day's a school day on here!

Gone 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

If you are risk averse about reproofing you could always wash the grot off yourself and send it back to paramo for reproofing. They are the same company as nikwax so that is what they use. I have had a reproofing from them as part of a repair service and it was fine. Mind you I have asked Santa for a new jacket as mine is truly grotty now with dirt and worn bits, plus  the main jacket is 17 years old and the repaired panel is only about 8 years old and the main jacket has started fading quite a bit and the repair hasn’t, so I look extremely scruffy.

Removed User 06 Dec 2018

Contact Nikwax and ask them what to use they are part of the Paramo group and make excellent products.

Post edited at 13:30
 JohnWoodrow 08 Dec 2018

I just use the recommended products by nikwax: the wash and then the reproofer.  Works a charm!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...