washing out laundry smell from a scholler jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stone Muppet 01 Jul 2020

background: I bought a black diamond alpine start hoody second hand. it's fine but the previous person went mad with fabric conditioner. i'm hypersensitive to the stuff and despite having washed it twice so far it's still too liable to make me itch and sneeze.

standard advice for removing smells is soaking in bicarbonate of soda solution, then wash with some vinegar in the rinse cycle. will my lovely jacket be ok with this or will it destroy the magic properties of the scholler fabric I paid for?

marsbar 01 Jul 2020
In reply to Stone Muppet:

I'd try soaking it in the bath or a plastic box for a couple of days in lots of water and then wash it and hang it outside. 

Dom Connaway 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Stone Muppet:

Fabric conditioner will be first against the wall when I get into power. Close to the top of a list of stuff that needs to be uninvented sharpish.

Marsbar is on the right track but you'll need to cycle the water. Possibly easier to put it through a 40deg wash without detergent (after doing a 90deg maintenance wash to get rid of any detergent in the machine). After that, hang outside for as many days as you can in a breezy but shaded spot (protect from UV). That's just generic advice, btw; check the label for max temp, spin speed etc.

Good luck; let us know what worked.

OP Stone Muppet 07 Jul 2020

Well I ran it through twice on a long stains cycle turned down to 30 degrees with prewash and extra rinse and a couple of tshirts in there to help 'scrub' it but my thinking was not a full load which may hold more soap between rinses. Bear in mind it had 2 washes before I started complaining!

It still smells a bit, particularly focussed on the top of zip by my face so I suspect the seller thought that bit particularly dirty and used one of those pritt stick type bars on that part specifically.

Anyway it's down to acceptable levels now; I wore it climbing on sunday. Not perfect but it's hanging by an open window and will only improve with time. Cheers guys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...