Warm Insulated Clothing for none active work...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SebCa 26 Feb 2020

I am looking for recommendations for warm weather clothing for the following:

Roof top work (high building)/rope access

Exposed to high winds

Exposed to cold temps lets say down to about 0-5deg. (Wind chill will feature)

Not active so stood for long periods of multiple hours

Whats out there and thoughts??

daWalt 26 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

fladen suit.

Bacon Butty 26 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

Arco (Trafford Park not Northern Italy) is a good place for workwear.

Rick Graham 26 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

Any old mountaineering clothing works well under high viz site wear, plenty of layers, don't be shy.

Its only for a shift not a multi day alpine route.

For the legs, outer layer , I have yet to find anything better than flexothane, hard wearing and flexible. I also use on bad days when out on a mountain bike.

After trying all manner of footwear over decades  , I settled on  plastic bread bags over welly socks inside rigger boots.

Post edited at 17:41
 olddirtydoggy 26 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

Merino base layer and fleece lined socks. I just got a pair of Columbia socks with heavy fleece insides and they are like radiators. I would imagine the layering system would work well with a windproof outer to keep all the other layers warm.

deepsoup 26 Feb 2020
In reply to Rick Graham:

> After trying all manner of footwear over decades  , I settled on  plastic bread bags over welly socks inside rigger boots.

Here's a link I've posted on here a few times now (I think they're really good):

https://www.chillcheater.com/gloves-and-footwear/aquatherm-socks

*Much* more expensive than bread bags obviously, but they're also a rather better fit and seem to be more or less indestructible.  I've been wearing them over woolly socks in running shoes over the winter and a couple of hundred miles in they're showing no signs of wear & tear at all so far. 
(They also do a version that comes right up to the knee.)

Le Sapeur 26 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

A Welsh wig?

OP SebCa 26 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

Thank you for all the suggestions so far, they're a big help and keep them coming. As far as 'making it work' this is more an official HSE type thing rather than how do I keep warm, so looking at providing appropriate PPE. So any more ideas more than welcome. Cheers

Basemetal 26 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

Look at typical offshore thermal kit issue.

Padded boiler suit, woolly bear onesey, freezer worker gloves (Argon Skyline etc). Pile Helmet liner, slicker suit, better jacket etc.

anyha 26 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

I have a Brenig Wooly Bear for when it's dry underneath hi viz overalls, but when it's wet try the Ballyclare insulated hi Vis coveralls. The can be goretex or their own material, these appear on eBay as well at a reasonable price in a a variety of sizes.

I have a pair of insulated red wing hi vis bibs for sale, only worn for one night shift, if you are interested.

Post edited at 22:13
Removed User 26 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

My son is a signaling engineer for Network Rail. He's working tonight and probably up a gantry right now on the East Coast Mainline. His employer provides him with very good quality PPE. This includes a variety of layering warm clothing. Layering is the way to go.

Dax H 27 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

I can highly recommend the JSP skull cap for wearing under the hard hat. It's only thin but massively warm and rated to be worn under a hard hat unlike the hats most people perch their hard hat on. 

ballsac 27 Feb 2020
In reply to SebCa:

have a look at Carinthia - i have a pair of their HIG3 insulated trousers (primaloft, windstopper, zips all the way up and braces). i have the jacket as well - all are excellent, though not cheap...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...