Video - DIY cam trigger wire replacement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peter.herd 31 Mar 2020

Might be useful to folks struggling to find 'official' replacement wires and looking for a cheap, simple and robust fix  youtube.com/watch?v=XsW8T6rg3uE&

Prof. Outdoors 31 Mar 2020
In reply to peter.herd:

I did a DMM 4CU the same way.

Suggestion

Do the inner cam lobe wire blob first.

Doing the outer cam lobe last is easier as there is nothing in the way when doing the length critical second retaining blob.

Martin Bennett 31 Mar 2020
In reply to peter.herd:

I found plastic strimmer wire needed to be replaced too often as it wasn't sufficiently robust. I just use plain wire which produces a result that will last longer than the original. I've been doing this for my own and friend's friends without any failures for 20 years or more. There is one minor downside which is that the wire can become distorted when your cams are crammed into your sack with all the rest of your gear. If so you simply straighten it as you rack it. It's more likely with larger friends. No problem for those of us who are sufficiently fastidious to have a box to protect their cams when in their sacks.

Jabbott 31 Mar 2020
In reply to peter.herd:

"FOUCS you Fu*K!"

OP peter.herd 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Yeah good point - certainly easier that way with smaller cams. Not sure it makes much difference with medium/large.  

'I found plastic strimmer wire needed to be replaced ....'

Sounds like a good alternative. Ive not had any problems with strimmer cable. I think the wear on trigger wire is more related to the cam size, rock rugosity and placement than the age of the cam. Removing them from being over cammed in cracks often damages the wires too. In other words a bit random.. I thought the cord on my metolius master cams looked flimsy and indeed one snapped soon after i got a set, but the others have lasted  6 years of regular use.. 

Post edited at 15:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...