Via Ferrata Kit Help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 krikoman 21 Sep 2018

Off to Spain shortly and we're looking at Via Ferrata since a few of us haven't done it before.

So I've bought my kit, double crabs and a screamer, but there's no indication of the force needed to operate the screamer so I'm not sure if I can lower my weight on the crabs, say if I need a rest or crossing a Tyrolean, with a pulley.

I realise I could use a separate sling / leash type attachment, but was wondering if it's normal to just use the VF kit.

Cheers

Post edited at 14:28
 Jenny C 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Mine you can add a krab to the lanyards (after the rip section) to allow rests, so yes quite OK at least with that model of lanyard. Personally though it just feels wrong to load it, so I opted for a sling instead  

John Kelly 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Pretty sure you have to fall on them to activate the 'screamer' but they are a bit long for resting on, take a skinny 60cm sling

Neil Williams 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

You won't deploy it from just sitting on it.  I don't know what the force is, but if you do some Googling there is a video of someone taking a fairly reasonably-sized VF fall and not deploying it at all.

cragtyke 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

I usually use a 120cm sling at rest points, it gives a bit more flexibility than a short one, handy for helping to stabilise wire bridges as well with 2 krabs.

OP krikoman 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Thanks everyone, just as I thought, but thought I'd ask.

I suppose, after thinking about it for a nano-second, my fear about using a sling direct to my harness on a Tyrolean, doesn't make sense as the Tyrolean itself will take any shock loading.

I did think there might be some indication in the documentation giving a range for the deployment of the shock absorber.

Thanks everyone,

ChrisJD 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Most are set up for 40/50 to 100/120 kg user weights.  So if you are lighter/kids, they may not even deploy in fall.

They won't unzip under resting weight if you are in that range.

Take a short sling for direct clip in for resting/waiting etc

Post edited at 14:33
 deepsoup 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> but there's no indication of the force needed to operate the screamer so I'm not sure if I can lower my weight on the crabs

Much more than bodyweight, so no worries there.

Industrial shock-absorbers typically begin to deploy at about 4kN, I don't know for sure but it seems reasonable to assume VF 'screamer's will be in the same ballpark.  It has to be significantly more than bodyweight or they wouldn't have significantly slowed your fall before you reach the end of their travel.

deepsoup 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> I did think there might be some indication in the documentation giving a range for the deployment of the shock absorber.

That in itself may be an indication.  The force as a 'screamer' deploys is pretty constant so if you fall x meters onto a solid anchor before it pulls tight, and the screamer deploys y meters before you stop, the force is about (x/y +1) x bodyweight.

Bezz 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

The deployment load of a professional shock absorber  is 2kN (c. 200kg) and the absorber should limit the max load to 6kN as required by CE standard EN355. Depending on which standard your VF lanyard is tested to it could be the same, I notice Petzl test their VF lanyards to EN958 (which rather broadly covers all mountaineering equipment and I can't access to the detail of this standard to check). 

Long story short, you should be fine to rest on either leg of your lanyard without deploying it. My Petzl Vertigo has an attachment point for a carabineer to use for rests on the end of the shock pack. 

If you do add a sling for resting with, you must make sure it isn't attached during a fall, otherwise it will prevent the shock pack from working properly and transfer the load direct to you via your harness which would likely result in the reconfiguration of your genitals....

OP krikoman 21 Sep 2018
In reply to Bezz:

Cheers, It is to EN 958:2017.

It makes sense that you need some force to rip them, but with lack of info, wanted to make sure.

You advice about the sling, was what I was worried bout.

I probably won't need a rest, me being super fit and all that , but was worried about knacking it up just in case.

d_b 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

A sling to "rest" can be handy for leaning out to take pictures.  I find the lanyards are usually too long for that, and the clip in rest points too short.

I was thinking of getting one of those adjustible lanyard things before my next trip as they look like just the job.

deepsoup 21 Sep 2018
In reply to Bezz:

> The deployment load of a professional shock absorber  is 2kN

You sure?  Moot point from the OP's point of view, but I'm pretty convinced it's typically twice that.

Bellie 21 Sep 2018
In reply to krikoman:

You might need a rest if theres a queue ; ).  clip in lean back and relax whilst the bottleneck clears - thats if you are on a popular route.

Bezz 21 Sep 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

I left the industry 5 years ago but pretty sure that's correct, I have however been drunk / slept since then...4kN is quite a force, the maximum allowable is 6kN under CE tests. 

deepsoup 21 Sep 2018
In reply to Bezz:

> 4kN is quite a force

When a 100kg person hits the end of the rope, that's enough to decelerate them at 3g. (The first 1kN doesn't decelerate them at all, just stops them from accelerating any more, if you see what I mean.)

Seems about right to me.  According to the instructions that currently come with a Petzl Absorbica you should anticipate the extension in the shock absorber being approximately 1/3 of the distance fallen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...