Vegan Shoes for Sports Routes Recommendations...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm looking to get another set of vegan climbing shoes, as I currently wear a pair of 5.10 Blackwings, which are fine on short routes and bouldering, but really start to hurt my feet on longer sport climbs/slabs due to the aggressive toes and the vegan "leather's" inability to really stretch, which really pinches the front of my feet, making a lot of climbs unbearably uncomfortable and sore. Any recommendations for  vegan friendly shoes for sports routes/slabs/longer climbs? I'm also currently in a country that doesn't do easy delivery or returns, so all research and info before settling for a pair would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

S.Kew 07 Jun 2020
In reply to michaelofthegraham:

The best vegan shoes are 5.10 Anasazi pinks or Blanco IMO. The Anasazi brown are also good. But for a cheaper all round comfortable shoe the Evolve Defy are very good and durable. Another option is the Scarpa Instinct SR. Very comfortable and alot grippier than i was expecting. Like any Synthetic shoe though, it is very important to get the correct size in that individual shoe. 

Not really surprised the Blackwings are giving you pain! You don't mention your foot shape which will limit any recommendations anyone can give, but some ideas: 

Evolv - they have a massive range of vegan shoes. Personally I found all of their shoes way too symmetrical for my wide feet which hurt my big toe, but a shoe like the Supra would be a good look (stiff and sporty with almost no downturn) 

5:10 are unhelpful with which of their shoes are vegan, but the Grandstone is their new very stiff all day trad shoes which if it fitted your foot would be super comfortable. On their website it says they are made of leather but it's quite clearly microfibre so might be worth firing off an email if you think it could be a good match. Obviously you could try the Anasazi which if you get on with the 5:10 heel and fit you might like, but I don't know anyone that actually likes their aggressive shoes. 

Scarpa are coming out with a tonne of vegan shoes this year and the new Vapour will be the perfect flat toed but aggressive sport shoe and will be vegan (the current one has a leather toe box)

Black Diamond - I have the Momentum vegan and it's alright fit wise but the heel is terrible and loose. 

Anything Tenaya is incredibly narrow, but they have a lot of vegan options so worth looking if you have feet like skis. 

RBonney 07 Jun 2020

I'd suggest the Tanaya Oasi

nufkin 07 Jun 2020

Previous suggestions are all good, and if you're generally a 5.10 fan, the Unparallel range is worth a look too, if you can find them. Note that the sizing may not be what you're used to from 5.10

I just spoke to Scarpa and the new (blue) Vapour Lace is vegan, despite it not being filterable on their website. This shoe would be a good candidate, and seems to have been released now.  

Give Tenaya Terfia a whirl. Basically a lace up Oasi but slightly stiffer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...