UV proof shirt : an update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MisterPiggy 04 Jul 2022

'mornin' all,

A while back I asked the forum for recommendations for a UV proof shirt: thank you all for your messages. I can't add to that topic, hence new post.

In the end I plumped for a surf shirt from Decathlon. White, long sleeves and a short stand up collar. Only €12 as I recall.

I've been wearing it all the time outside: running, trekking, cycling, gardening and construction jobs, sometimes for 14hrs straight. Even in full sun at close to 40°c. Not a lick of sunscreen on the torso/arms, just the shirt, and no sunburn at all. On a hiking trip I wore it four days in row and it didn't smell. It continues to work even after several washings. 

They're sized VERY tight, I took a XXL and normally I'm a L. Even so, there are creases in my skin around the elbows.

So I heartily recommend it. I even bought two more for when the current one gets damaged. The exact reference is: 8611954 Olaian Surf top 100. Comes in white or dark blue. I chose white thinking that it wouldn't soak up the heat like a dark colour.

Thanks again for your guidance, j 🙂

Toerag 04 Jul 2022
In reply to MisterPiggy:

> In the end I plumped for a surf shirt from Decathlon.

I've always known these as 'rash vests'

> They're sized VERY tight, I took a XXL and normally I'm a L. Even so, there are creases in my skin around the elbows.

By the look of their size guide their L is smaller than most manufacturers' Ls - I can well believe a 'fitted' item like this required a double step up in size for you.

In reply to Toerag:

> I've always known these as 'rash vests'

Me too; probably from NZ friends' influence.

And they've always been very tight, such that you need to be shoehorned in to them...

Ridge 04 Jul 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Me too; probably from NZ friends' influence.

> And they've always been very tight, such that you need to be shoehorned in to them...

I've always thought rash vests were swimming specific, hence they have to be skin tight to prevent drag. I certainly wouldn't walk round the steets in my 'jammers'..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...