UV-C water bottle recomendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 waterfall 25 Apr 2022

I am off on a 5 day hiking / kayaking trip and would like a water bottle i can fill up from streams etc

Does anyone have any recommendations?

it needs to be lightweight as possible 

thanks in advance

Jon Read 25 Apr 2022
In reply to waterfall:

I would just take a Sawyer mini, and 1 or 2 litre bladder.

OP waterfall 25 Apr 2022

i was hoping for a smart one, as in click a button and it does the hard work for you

i will reuse it on fast hikes too so looking for something that i can fill up, switch UV on then move quickly 

In reply to waterfall:

Are you looking for an active UV-C source? Or just a bottle?

SODIS suggest using PET bottles. But that's generally for hotter, sunnier climes than the UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection

Fiona Reid 25 Apr 2022
In reply to waterfall:

Water to go or Lifestraw both do filter bottles, you basically fill and can drink straight away. 

Not UV as they use filters but I guess it depends on where  you're headed and what you need to kill. 

Post edited at 21:31
OP waterfall 25 Apr 2022

It's just for UK but I think those SODIS ones look great

so it will be for streams but also tarns and lochs / lochans

so yes if i can zap anything that would be much better

cost isn't a factor, its something i will use a lot so willing to pay top.

tomsan91 25 Apr 2022
In reply to waterfall:

A UV water purifier will only cause the bacteria and oocysts to become inactive. It will not remove particulates from the water. A small filter like the Sawyer squeeze mentioned above will remove the aforementioned organisms and the lumps from your collected water. 

LastBoyScout 26 Apr 2022
In reply to waterfall:

Another vote for the Sawyer mini - I've used mine inline with a bladder (make sure it's round the right way). If you want to fill from streams, it comes with a soft bottle to screw onto and will screw onto many others.

I've also got a Water to Go bottle - LifeStraw is similar, but I've not used any of their options.

The nice thing about these ones is you can fill and drink almost instantly, but be careful with filters in very cold conditions - if they freeze, the filter could crack and fail.

UV is good, but needs a couple of minutes to work and you might need to pre-filter the water to make it clear enough for UV to work effectively and the batteries can run out.

I assume you're not going anywhere coastal, where desalination would be an issue?

OP waterfall 28 Apr 2022
In reply to waterfall:

just scotland but will also use in the lakes 

think im going to go with the sawyer mini as recommended, thank you

this video is great in explaining it.  

youtube.com/watch?v=2YaUTyekj1w&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...