used my climbing rope for tug-o-war

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Kamon 05 May 2019

At a kids party today we used my climbing rope for a tug-o-war. 

To avoid rope burn on the kids' hands I tied double overhand stopper knots every metre for about 15m of rope. The problem is that all the adults joined in heaving on the rope and now I have about 8 knots that I cannot get a start on untieing.

Any tips for undoing extremely tight knots in a climbing rope - or is it now destined to become two ropes - one for the kids and one for short crags!?

Thanks

Post edited at 01:29
 mcawle 05 May 2019
In reply to Kamon:

Hazarding a guess... pliers?

john arran 05 May 2019
In reply to Kamon:

Take a short loop of rope in your hand, with the knot in the centre of the loop, then swing it hard at something very solid. The impact will help loosen the knot. You may need to do this quite a few times, and to avoid abrading the rope at the impact point it's better to bash it at something less abrasive, such as a wooden post or smooth limestone, rather than against rough rock.

Works a treat for untying knotted slings too.

Dell 05 May 2019
In reply to Kamon:

Marlin spike

nikoid 05 May 2019
In reply to Kamon:

Or a knitting  needle, bit like a marlinspike but more readily available. 

Kamon 05 May 2019
In reply to Dell:

Just spoke with my dad who insisted that a marlin spike was the answer, but that I would also need it removing from my hand at some point based on his own personal experience of using this tool!

Kamon 05 May 2019
In reply to mcawle:

I gave one knot a light mauling with the needle-nose pliers but wasn't gaining any ground.

Kamon 05 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

Thanks John. That's my next approach. Right now I'll be quite happy to bash the knots on something, it will be therapeutic. Perhaps on my own thick skull...

Fredt 05 May 2019
In reply to Kamon:

A relative of mine provided a climbing rope for a tug of war in the Queen’s Silver Jubilee Celebrations.

The rope snapped. Not surprising really with 10 people either end. One participant had a heart attack and died.

88Dan 05 May 2019
In reply to Fredt:

Must have been a simond rope That wouldn't have happened with a Beal rope.

Offwidth 05 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

I'd recommend similar... medium strength raps on a flat surface with a wooden or plastic mallet. I must have strong fingers as I've needed to do this. In contrast quite a few sling knots needed stomping after aid weighting.

wilkie14c 05 May 2019
In reply to Kamon:

Soak the knots in WD40 overnight

then tomorrow morning throw the lot into the bin 

A Reid 05 May 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

Put the knot on a hard surface like concrete and roll it under your shoe. Normally loosens things up.

oldie 05 May 2019
In reply to Fredt:

There was a recent post in Mountain Project about tug of war and dynamic rope. I googled and found: "During a typical tug of war match, a tremendous amount of tension (or elastic recoil) builds up. When improper rope is used (i.e. nylon), the chances of a snap exponentially increase. When this does happen, the stored tension in the rope can easily tear through tendon and bone. Similarly, the broken ends of an elastic polymer (again, nylon) can recoil like a rubber band if released, and reach speeds high enough to sever appendages."

Apparently in recent times there have been many second degree burns, severed digits, a hand, an arm and two boys were killed in 1995 when hundreds took part(whiplash and one crushed). Apparently its depends on the tensile strength of the rope and unlikely to happen with small numbers of people.

Kamon 05 May 2019
In reply to oldie:

Bloody hell!  No deaths or missing limbs here, just a few very tight knots.

I'm down to olny the middle 5 knots now.  Have been having success by "gnawing" at each knot from different angles with a mole-wrench - with the jaws wrapped in tape to avoid sharp edges.

oldie 06 May 2019
In reply to Kamon:

I don't have enough knowledge to venture an opinion, but will the use for tug of war have affected the properties of the rope? Probably not as nobody, including the usual technically knowledgeable suspects, has made any comment. Two opposing groups of children and adults might put quite a strain of some duration on the rope. There has been a recent thread of possible relevance: " Using climbing rope as tow rope ".

Jamie Wakeham 06 May 2019
In reply to oldie:

I'm surprised that no-one has yet suggested that the rope might be trashed.  I would be very wary.

It's pretty easy for a person to pull with a force of about their own bodyweight - the ever-useful XKCD suggests that 1.5 times body weight is a reasonable estimate: https://what-if.xkcd.com/127/

You don't say how many adults, but if we were talking 15 big-ish men on each end then that is around 18kN - that's three times the rated breaking strain of a small nut, and approaching that of a sling.  This will have been applied for a significant length of time and, because of the knots, it will not have been applied evenly over the whole core.  

If you can ever get the knots undone, I would advocate checking the core extremely carefully for bulges and soft spots!  Even if it had none, I'm not sure if I'd be happy about continuing to use it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...