"Updating" Charlet Moser Black Ice crampons?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Basemetal 20 Aug 2019

I've just bought a pair of Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro to move on from my Scarpa Triolets, and the MB are much more asymmetrically soled than the Triolet were. Upshot is my semi-auto C-M Black Ice crampons can't fit. I know crampon-boot fit is a minefield of size variations and that trial &error is the only sure method, but I'm asking in case anyone out there has been able to make this particular combination work?

With Charlet Moser being absorbed by Petzl, does anyone know if their bent universal link bar fits the Black Ice crampon?

I'm keen to keep the Black Ice if possible as I really like very forward aggressive secondary points and they've been great in thin conditions. If they have to go (sniff) would G12s be the best bet for mid grade 3 to hopefully 5 Scottish?

Thanks for any pointers,

Danny

Edit: internet pic of a Black Ice ( not mine)...

https://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/im...http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/516/medium/IMG_9454.JPG&key=ad...

Post edited at 12:44
OP Basemetal 20 Aug 2019

Ahh.... scrub this. I've been playing around and realise the heel lever, though "adjustable" isn't able to accommodate the Mont Blanc's sole thickness properly, so I have to give up on the Black Ices after all.

RBK 21 Aug 2019
In reply to Basemetal:

If you like aggressive secondary points BD Sabretooths are about the best of those with horizontal front points, they climb really well, appreciably better than G12's etc on steeper ground.

OP Basemetal 22 Aug 2019
In reply to RBK:

Thanks for that. I'll try to have a look at them in a shop. I was thinking the BD Serac had even longer forward pointing secondaries. Boot fitting comments have been pointing me toward Petzl Vasaks, but I'm open minded to get the best fit.

In what ways do the Sabretooths beat the G12s etc?

OP Basemetal 30 Aug 2019

Postscript: Found a pair of 'new' DMM Gladiators and they're a perfect fit for the MBs. Happy Bunny.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...