TX 4 & Mescalito waterproofness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Cowley 30 Jul 2020

After a pair of one if the above. Whichever fits best obviously.  But toying with whether to get the gtx version. Only times they'll get wet is wet grass approaches or the odd unseen puddle. In heavy rain id wear boots. How waterproof have people found the standard version. Don't want feet to sweat like mad in gtx ones if there's not much need.

Cheers

joe.91 30 Jul 2020
In reply to David Cowley:

I have the Scarpa's, never got wet feet in them even when gardening in the rain. 

OG 30 Jul 2020

I have the non gtx mescalitos and I find that they do get wet if it rains much or through prolonged walking through very wet grass. Once wet they stay wet as they are quite thick. To be fair nikwaxing them might help which I haven’t done. But for the U.K. if I were buying again I’d personally get the gtx version.

timparkin 30 Jul 2020

Have you looked at the TX Guide? I've just got a pair and very impressed. Great luggy soles for UK  grass.  

Gav_92 30 Jul 2020

have the mid cut version of the tx4, in rain and puddles feet tend to stay dry but bog does eventually soak in, gaitors help

oliwarlow 30 Jul 2020

I have had a few pairs of TX4s both gtx and normal.  There is definitely a noticeable difference with the non gtx letting the water in with moderate rain or walking on wet ground and it doesn take a while for them to dry out.  Not sure what I would go for again, probably gtx for the extra cosyness factor (not fussed about feet getting too warm).  I find the tx4s are more expensive than the equivalent 5ten/scrapa shoe but are much harder wearing so last mush longer. 

Myfyr Tomos 30 Jul 2020

I've had a pair of non-gtx Mescalito for about 18 months. Best things I've ever had on my feet. Well built but very precise and nimble and comfortable for long mountain days. Excellent on rock and not at all sweaty. Found them ok in dewy grass but get wet in rain - probably through the tongue area. That's when I'll use boots.

I'm on my second pair of TX4s. The main problem for rain ingress is the fabric tongue. The high rand and the suede upper which readily takes nikwax suedeproof make them pretty good in wet grass: much better than mixed leather/fabric boots.

I will get a third pair when this current pair wears out, even if I have to pay full price; first pair cost £88 with DofE leader's discount. Then Brexit happened...

Tim Davies 30 Jul 2020

I’ve got the gtx versions and was concerned about sweaty feet, but it’s not been a problem at all. I think the low cut aids ventilation 

MischaHY 31 Jul 2020

Non Gore Tex just doesn't make sense in the UK in my opinion, unless you're trail running. I only understood the euro manufacturers choice to not use membranes when I moved to Germany and suddenly didn't need it for 98% of the season. Comparably in the UK I'd have wet feet constantly. 

alex_arthur 31 Jul 2020

I've got the GTX version.  I think they are ideal for uk conditions.  They haven't felt too hot or sweaty in my experience. 

Raskye 31 Jul 2020
In reply to David Cowley: Not directly relevant to the post, but after my 6th pair of scarpa Zens, my Mescalitos arrived this afternoon  Haven't tried them out yet, but the tongue looks like it will let a lot of water in from wet long grass etc  But, like my non gtx zens, will be much cooler than any gtx shoe. 
Best of all though, the mescalitos were  £76 from Bergzeit. No hassles with delivery  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...