REVIEW: Trekmates Gaiters - range overview

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 25 May 2021

Dan Bailey sets aside his gaiter-scepticism to try out three models from Trekmates' extensive range. They all do a decent job at a fair price, he concludes.

Read more

BRILLBRUM 25 May 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Ever get the impression that someone doesn't like gaiters, didn't really want to do this review, ditched the gaiters as soon as the photo's were taken

What do folks think of different types of integrated gaiter?  

I have a pair of ME karakorum with integrated gaiter that hook onto your boots. I find them to be rubbish. The back of the gaiter is elasticated and ends up over the top of my boot and when stepping high your knee pulls on the gaiter which limits how high you can step.

I've had boots with the ankle seal on and whilst it was a bit better for the odd patch of snow they still weren't the answer for long duration stuff.

so I wear gaiters when there's soft snow on the ground but I share Dan's lack of love for the things.

is there a better way?

airborne 25 May 2021

Mrs Airborne has voiced a desire to tick the Wainwrights so I'm mulling gaiters. Never thought I'd type those words. Anybody used any shorter gaiters and rate them?

Dan Arkle 25 May 2021
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

If you are regularly in very wet conditions then Yeti gaiters glued to your boots is an option. 

olddirtydoggy 25 May 2021

Is there a link to Ebay where these test models can be bought yet?

galpinos 25 May 2021
In reply to airborne:

I'd second this. I'm keen for some tick based short ankle protection.......

Trangia 25 May 2021
In reply to airborne:

I have a pair of gortex Slioch ankle gaiters/stop tout. They are perfect for walking in shorts as they stop bits of gravel, mud, grass seeds, and other debris getting into your boots. I've tried, without success, to find out what's happened to Slioch? I suspect, however, that they may no longer be trading?

My wife uses gortex TSL ankle gaiters which are nearly as good although a little bit longer. Again perfect for use when walking in shorts. IIRC we bought them from Go Outdoors.

Rob Parsons 25 May 2021
In reply to Trangia:

> I have a pair of gortex Slioch ankle gaiters/stop tout. They are perfect for walking in shorts as they stop bits of gravel, mud, grass seeds, and other debris getting into your boots. I've tried, without success, to find out what's happened to Slioch? I suspect, however, that they may no longer be trading?

They were based in Poolewe, but closed down in 2008 or so.

Siward 25 May 2021
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

I'm a gaiter evangelist. Anybody who doesn't like them spends insufficient time walking through bogs. 

TobyA 25 May 2021
In reply to Siward:

> I'm a gaiter evangelist.

Are you really? I mean how hard have you really tried? For example have you ever made a film about your love of gaiters?

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/17714497

(By the way, I remember I messed up the compression somehow on it, so you don't really have time to read the "opening titles". It says "all you gaiter haters - this is gaiter weather!)

More seriously I can't exactly remember why a decade ago I was inspired to spend an hour of my life putting this vid together, although I have a nasty suspicion that it was probably the result of a vigorous discussion on UKC about gaiters where a gaiter hater was being quite clearly 'wrong on the internet' and we can't having that!

Guy Hurst 25 May 2021

I've been using a pair of Hilltrek single ventile short gaiters for quite a few years, mostly for heather moorland walks. They keep the worst of the heather fragments and peat out of my boots, and feel as if they'll last for ever. Probably effective against ticks, too.

Fellracer 28 May 2021

Well done Dan on testing a brand that many glossy mags would not ; we as readers are always expected to have massive wallets so a cheaper alternative is great to read about. ( Never any reviews on ALDI or LIDL kit!)

Thanks, a good review; the lighter ones sometimes sink down my legs which is a pain.

Frank R. 30 May 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Please, we want to see the vid!

You posted the private "manage" link, not the public "view" one...

> quite clearly 'wrong on the internet' and we can't having that!

I can relate to that.

https://xkcd.com/386/

TobyA 31 May 2021
In reply to Frank R.:

Hmmm... Does this work? vimeo.com/17714497

Frank R. 02 Jun 2021
In reply to TobyA:

> Hmmm... Does this work? vimeo.com/17714497

Yes! As cringey as I imagined, thanks - the background music really got me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...