Trango Tech - too Flexible?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 17 Sep 2019

After the impossible quest of trying to find a new pair of summer alpine boots that fit and are comfortable I’ve come across the Sportiva Trango Tech, which fit well and are very comfortable, they are however quite flexible, so my question is how flexible is too flexible for a summer alpine boot? Has anyone tried these in the mountains? I am ideally looking to take them up to D but generally stick to PD-AD routes. 

Are these pushing the flexibility boundary too far for alpine use? They seem like they would be fine on glaciers, but I wonder how they would fare on something like Cosmiques with crampons on for the whole day? Any thoughts?

mff513 17 Sep 2019
In reply to echo34:

I've got trango cubes which are the opposite end of the spectrum to the techs (stiff, alpine boot). Sounds like you might want something a little stiffer if that's your preference but be aware that all boots are going towards the flexible end of the spectrum. A good question to ask is do they flex at the toe or the mid foot if they flex at the toe they are not made for front pointing but they'll be great at smearing and rock climbing  if they are just all round flexible maybe they are more of a glacier approach boot, the scarpa rebel lights are very much the same, stiff midsole but very flexible at the toes it seems to be a developing trend in mountain boots at minute, black sheep adventure sports has a good review of the trango techs

Post edited at 17:31
1philjones1 17 Sep 2019
In reply to echo34:

Hi, I’m sure you’d be fine with them at least up to AD with the addition of a flex bar, which are about £10 a pair. I’ve done the Cosmiques in Rebel lites which are similar in terms of flex. I’ve just returned from the Alps having worn Scarpa Ribelle lites with flex bar. We did the Entreves traverse, half in crampons, and they were fine.

wbo2 17 Sep 2019
In reply to echo34:what size feet do you have ?  The difference between say 41 and 46 is enormous in many boots

OP echo34 17 Sep 2019
In reply to wbo2:

The flex is mostly at the toe, but they are very bendy. I can almost fold them in half in my hands, substantially more flexible than the Ribelle. Interestingly the Cubes don’t fit me, loads of heel lift, I used to use Scarpa (Rebel Carbon) but I find the newer ones to fit badly. 

I’m generally big on flexible and minimal footwear, but I’m just wondering at what point it becomes an issue for crampons? If they’re really cranked on tight with a flex bar are they realistically going to fall off?

I currently use the Salewa Crow which is very nice, good wide toe box (quite flexible too) but crampons causes a lot of heel rubbing in them on my last trip.

OP echo34 17 Sep 2019
In reply to wbo2:

46 😂

pass and peak 18 Sep 2019
In reply to echo34:

Well they have a heal clip at the back to take a semi automatic crampon, with the addition of a flex bar I'd have thought they would be fine on easy grade routes where your unlikely to do a lot of front pointing and most of the route is a rock climb!

Climber climb 18 Sep 2019
In reply to echo34:

I’m interested in some myself. Where did you manage to pick some up from 

OP echo34 18 Sep 2019
In reply to Climber climb:

Got them from AddNature, most of the other German Stores have them too, free delivery free returns 👍and often faster delivery than any UK shop

FreeloaderJoe 18 Sep 2019
In reply to echo34:

Definitely not too flexible for these kinds of routes, what do you think these boots are made for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...