Trango evo, what’s their replacement?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezb1 27 Jun 2020

You know the ones that were normally blue... what the nearest thing now? Trango tech?

In reply to jezb1:

Hey Jez,

Trango Tower is probably the direct replacement. I reviewed a pair, and found them slightly clumpier. 

Trango Cubes have a very similar fit, but are stiffer. Amazing for big boot rock climbing. A friend described them as Fiveten Whites for big boot rock climbing. I’ve had a couple of pairs.

Outside have a killer deal on them currently. 

https://www.outside.co.uk/la-sportiva-trango-cube-gtx-mountaineering-boots....

A slight curve ball suggestions which are great value are Kayland Cross Mountain. Very similar fit and last to the old Trango S. You can buy them from Crib Goch in the village. 

HTH

OP jezb1 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Perfect info, thanks Tom!

That Cube price is insane! I already have some Ice Cubes and love them. Tower is probably what I’m after, it’s for ML courses and scrambling stuff.

Monkeysee 28 Jun 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Funny how they stop naking rhe goid stuff then out the prices up on everything else !

Bad enough them being sizest  ! 

Harry Ellis 28 Jun 2020
In reply to jezb1:

I have the Towers and they are very similar to the old Trangos but I find the sizing slightly longer. Def worth trying on rather than just getting your old size automatically

Hope you are all good and looking forward to being releaserd into the wild!

TobyA 28 Jun 2020
In reply to jezb1:

La Sportiva have the most rubbish naming systems going - see the start of: https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/la_sportiva_trango_... So the Trango Tower GTX and the Trango Tower Extreme GTX are quite different boots! I used to have Trango S (first gen. from 2002 I think when they hadn't even put goretex in them yet), but they added Evo to various different models though because my old ice boots are La Sportiva Trango Extreme Evo GTX! I bought those in 2006. So do you think your old ones were just Trango Evos or Trango Extreme Evos - as they would be totally different! LOLs.

OP jezb1 28 Jun 2020
In reply to Harry Ellis:

> I have the Towers and they are very similar to the old Trangos but I find the sizing slightly longer. Def worth trying on rather than just getting your old size automatically

> Hope you are all good and looking forward to being releaserd into the wild!

Cheers Harry! All good here, hope you are too! Definitely looking forward to venturing further than 5 miles....

OP jezb1 28 Jun 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I have some Trango Evos and Trango Evo Extremes...! And some Ice Cubes!

They do seem to have a massive range with very confusing names....

andrewm1000 29 Jun 2020

This thread prompted me to try for an unwanted pair of the old S Evo if anyone has, or the Trango Tower. I think the extreme are the same but take a full crampon but I won’t bet on that haha!

galpinos 29 Jun 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Jez, this is the "best" info I could find on what all the similar names mean:

youtube.com/watch?v=LdI-8DP6X3A&

I went with the Cubes on the back of that (and the price at Outside....)

OP jezb1 29 Jun 2020
In reply to galpinos:

Thats really helpful, thanks! 

TobyA 29 Jun 2020
In reply to galpinos:

> Jez, this is the "best" info I could find on what all the similar names mean:

"Durable". Pah!

galpinos 29 Jun 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Don't tell me Toby, I've drunk the Kool-aid......

Street 30 Jun 2020
In reply to galpinos:

That's a handy video! I was trying to work out the difference between the Towers and the Cubes a while back but couldn't seem to find any info. I ended up just getting my old Trangos resoled so should hopefully get a bit more use out of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...