Tough jeans revisited

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Riley 02 May 2020

There was a thread a while back about “tough” jeans about the time the new alpkit jeans came out. 

Having just put a hole in the same place in the third pair jeans in a row i was wondering how people are getting on with their tough jeans and do you have any recommendations?

jezb1 02 May 2020
In reply to Alex Riley:

I have a pair of Black Diamond Forged Jeans, pretty expensive but they've taken a beating and are still doing well, I wear them all the time. Properly stretchy too but look like proper jeans.

You prompted me to have a quick look at how much they are and EpicTV have an extra 15% off at the mo so they're £70. Still not cheap like, but I'll be getting another pair when mine do die.

Post edited at 10:46
 GrahamD 02 May 2020
In reply to Alex Riley:

Stop being a fashion victim and buy some trousers designed to be trousers rather than something designed to look like a 19th century Chinese navie's trousers ?

Siward 02 May 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Nice pair of flannels, cavalry twill?  

OP Alex Riley 02 May 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Find something better to do. 

DANDREWS 02 May 2020
In reply to Alex Riley:

Have you tried the Simond jeans which Decathlon sell,I think for about thirty pounds,although I haven’t tried them.I find the Decathlon stretch trousers to be hard wearing,and very good for climbing.They are twenty five pounds,and as good as ones which cost four times as much. 

Post edited at 11:09
In reply to DANDREWS:

My wife has two pairs, they are decent but I’m looking for something harder wearing. I know jeans aren’t great environmentally so I’d like to try and make them last as long as possible ideally. Again, I don’t climb much in jeans just looking for harder wearing day to day options

If I didn’t care I would just buy primark as they last about as long. 

Bacon Butty 02 May 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Did you rip your lovely soft brushed flannel pyjama bottoms when you got out of bed this morning?

HakanT 02 May 2020
In reply to Alex Riley:

Have you considered not using your knees ?

Primark’s slim stretch jeans have served me well, and at £10 saved me a lot of money.

In reply to HakanT:

It’s not my knees that’s the problem it’s my big a**e

In reply to DANDREWS:

Another vote for the Simond Techman or Rockman jeans. (I was so pleased with the first pair, I now have two.) Very comfortable with flexible knees, and seem pretty tough. At the price, you can't go wrong.

gravy 02 May 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

Yeah, but you have to walk around with your ankles on show like a 15 year old during a growth spurt wearing last year's school uniform. It would be nice if Decathlon stopped exclusively selling 3/4 length trous...

In reply to gravy:

I think you must be talking about different trousers. Mine are have normal leg lengths, perhaps even a bit on the long side so that they come down over the top of big boots.

GrahamD 02 May 2020
In reply to Alex Riley:

> Find something better to do. 

Nothing better in lockdown than winding up fashion victims.

climb the peak 02 May 2020
In reply to HakanT:

Another recommendation for stretchy primark jeans! Cheap and durable

oldie 02 May 2020
In reply to climb the peak:

In the 60s some UK climbers were said to have worn jeans with the rope threaded through the loops as a basic sit harness, perhaps used for artificial climbing. Might not satisfy current UIAA safety recommendations though. 

Robert Durran 02 May 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Nothing better in lockdown than winding up fashion victims.

Indeed. The fact that your earlier post has more likest than dislikes restores my faith in humanity slightly in these dark times 

Albert Tatlock 02 May 2020
In reply to oldie:

My mate once tried that top roping a climb, threaded the rope through the belt loops of his brand new wranglers . When he fell it ripped off all the loops 😆

In reply to Alex Riley:

I’m unclear if it’s the Alpkit jeans you’ve trashed. My pair are going strong, but I’ve not had them for ages. Six months or so. They’ve lasted much better than Simond jeans I’ve had previously. Decathlon clothing is often a false economy in my view, as the fabrics normally wear out/loose their shape much quicker than more expensive brands. 

Levi Jeans last really well in my experience. I’ve got some 514s which are a good cut for climbing, if you’ve got big legs.

Mountain Equipment Hope pants are good tough, canvas style trousers for climbing in.

Disclaimer - I work with Alpkit, but wouldn’t recommend the jeans if I didn’t think they were good. 

Sealwife 02 May 2020
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

Mammut have a pair of shorts which has an integral climbing harness - for a price

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I’ve not got the alpkit ones but they are high on the list at the moment.

I’ve worn through Levi’s and wranglers recently, so looking for something a bit tougher for knocking around in.

Rick Graham 02 May 2020

To be fair to Decathlon, the £25 pants I bought over a year ago have retained their shape. No scuffs or tears and I use my knees, hips or whatever liberally to ease my progress up the crag.

What I like best are the complete freedom of movement and the fact that all the features deemed necessary for a trouser to be saleable like fly, pockets and a waist adjustment are actually trad climber friendly. The fly  zip works with a harness on and the side pockets are zipped which means they do not interfere with clipping gear.

The waist tightener is off to one side and avoids interference with climbing harness. 

Post edited at 20:27
 Albert Tatlock 02 May 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

This was in the  late 1970’s , when the only option was a Whillans harness or tie on round the waist.

Sir Chasm 02 May 2020

> Disclaimer - I work with Alpkit

Then please prod them to make their waterproof jeans again, they were great. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...