Torque nuts / hexes - wires vs dynema

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StevenF 12 Nov 2019

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy a set of DMM torque nuts for this winter season and wondered what the general consensus is with wired torque nuts Vs dynema. 

Thanks 

Wayne S 12 Nov 2019
In reply to StevenF:

Starter for 10,  wires are more resistant to “winter” nut removers.

Andypeak 12 Nov 2019
In reply to StevenF:

Dynema can be re slung very cheaply. Don't know if the wires ones can be done or not

innes 12 Nov 2019
In reply to StevenF:

I use BD hexes - but on wires for me, any day.  More robust against winter 'seating' with an axe. But also way easier to place 'just out of reach' in flared cracks/behind blocks when your wearing big gloves, especially the smaller sizes.  

cb294 12 Nov 2019
In reply to StevenF:

Winter? Wires, at least for the smaller sizes. Bigger sizes (that you can place wearing gloves) on round slings, not tape type. 

CB

LucaC 12 Nov 2019
In reply to cb294:

Wired hexes don't jangle, and are better for winter in my option. I've just bought a set of the wired ones for this winter season. 

GrahamD 12 Nov 2019
In reply to StevenF:

I'm assuming you mean winter climbing rather than rock climbing over winter ? For rock, tape every time.

OP StevenF 12 Nov 2019

Thanks everyone, wired hexes seem they to go!

In reply to GrahamD

Yes I mean for entry level winter climbing (grades I to III). Can you explain why you would chose tape in summer over wires? Thanks 

In reply to StevenF:

I’d go tape. They’ll last much longer, as they can easily be reeling, and will be preferable in summer.

I’ve lost count of the number of wires I’ve broken after over enthusiastic seating with an ice axe.

Plus tape is lighter. 

Plus at grades I-III, or indeed any grade, it won’t make the slightest difference. 

henwardian 12 Nov 2019
In reply to StevenF:

> Yes I mean for entry level winter climbing (grades I to III). Can you explain why you would chose tape in summer over wires? Thanks 

I can only comment on summer and from a point of view of thinking that hexes are not good enough to deserve to go on a standard rack because you'd be better off with nuts and cams. That said:

Dyneema is stronger/lighter than wire.

When Dyneema wears, it doesn't leave wires sticking out that jab into your hand and give you tetanus.

Dyneema is very flexible so there is less chance of the hex being moved out of position by the movement of the rope.

As an emergency extender the dyneema works better (basically the previous point) if extending a nut.

Dyneema comes in pretty colours! (aside from aesthetics, it's actually useful for grabbing the one you are looking for first time).

You can turn a Dyneema hex into an ATC when you drop your belay device on a multipitch, can't do that with a wired one!!

Ok, I think I'll stop there

Pina 13 Nov 2019
In reply to StevenF:

I'd just get whatever's cheaper, doesn't make a massive difference.

That said, the extensible sling on the torque nuts can be useful

GrahamD 13 Nov 2019
In reply to StevenF:

In summer, I find the stiffness of wire no benefit (its hard to properly seat a hex at arms length on a wire) but also a liability, as it makes the hex more likely to get unseated as you move above it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...