Topping-up down

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BRILLBRUM 07 Nov 2021

Hi all, I’ve an ageing but much loved late 90’s  Rab Summit jacket that is getting a bit light on down. It still works brilliantly but even with a loft in the tumble dryer it’s def not what it used to be.

Now I also have a crappy Next down jacket and I’m wondering if I might use the down from this as a donor for my Rab?

Any thoughts, anyone ever done a home down top-up? I’ve seen down packs online but for the amount of down you get they are very expensive, though the patches to seal the holes look excellent as do the instructions.

tx - S

olddirtydoggy 07 Nov 2021
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

You might be able to get a repair from one of the outdoor companies, not sure if Rab would help or maybe Phd, Patagonia I think did repairs at the Kendal fest..

Have you considered having it professionally washed and relofted, might bring it back to life.

Not sure where you live but the Rab factory shop at Alfreton has some big discounts on new coats.

I personally wouldn't use a fashion jacket as a donor due to the down being of what I'd imagine being a different loft and quality.

Perhaps someone on here might have an old wrecked coat they can donate as a down sourse

Love the fact you're trying to prolong the life of the jacket.

Wingnut 07 Nov 2021
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

Maybe try Scottish Mountain gear or similar? They do jacket re-stuffing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...