Tight quickdraw fixes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rowan Morgan 29 Sep 2022

(not a joke, just a slightly ridiculous question)

In making some mongrel QDs out of mismatching biners etc, I found some rubber fixers to fit over the sling end, however when the carabiner is pushed through they become extremely tight over the end of the sling, compressing it onto the carabiner. Does this compressive force decrease the strength of the QD sling or am I just being silly?

Thanks in advance

Holdtickler 29 Sep 2022
In reply to Rowan Morgan:

To be blunt, I suspect yes, you are just being silly (joke, your words... ) I'm sure that quickdraws are tested as complete units, including the rubber keepers, as well as, as separate components. If there is any effect at all from the compression it must be insignificant if the whole unit falls within the huge safety margins climbing kit is designed with. If you think about it, the sling is going to get totally compressed against the carabiner anyway, and to a much greater degree when your weight is hanging on it, with or without the rubber keeper. Worry not! a non-issue.

OP Rowan Morgan 02 Oct 2022
In reply to Holdtickler:

Ha thought that'd be the case, just something I couldn't help wondering about! Thanks for putting my mind at ease  

Holdtickler 03 Oct 2022
In reply to Rowan Morgan:

No worries! If you're not asking questions, you're doing something wrong!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...