Thin hooded top/baselayer for hot sunny days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fellover 11 Sep 2022

I'm looking for a thin hooded top/baselayer with long sleeves for wearing on days when it's really sunny and I want to cover up the back of my neck and my arms. I could just use suncream, but I burn easily even with suncream and I often forget... Ideally want it to be really thin so it's not too hot and to have a zip (just chest ideally, but full would be ok) on the front for ventilation.

Most of the hooded baselayers I know of are quite thick and/or don't have a front zip, because they're designed for winter!

Thinking of wearing in places like the Verdon, Yosemite, sunny sport climbing destinations in Europe etc.

Anyone got any ideas or alternative solutions? The best I've come up with is this from Rab, but I'd much rather it had a zip for ventilation on the front. https://rab.equipment/uk/force-hoody

PaulJepson 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Rab Borealis. Best jacket you'll ever own.

tehmarks 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

A Buff works well for covering your head and back of the neck - and as an added bonus, you can soak it in water to keep you a bit cooler.

Doug 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

No hood (add a buff as suggested above ?) but Decathlon do some long sleeved cycling tops designed for hot weather/high UV, eg https://www.decathlon.fr/p/maillot-velo-routes-manches-longues-velo-ete-ant...

David Barlow 11 Sep 2022

I've used my https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/product/long-sleeve-alpenglow-h... for precisely those reasons. It's several years old and has proved remarkably tough. I really recommend it.

LucaC 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

I’ve been wearing a light grey Force hoody all summer, and it’s fantastic. Can’t recommend it enough for keeping the sun off.

Chris Haslam 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Hi, not quite what you asked for but I use the Rab Pulse long sleeve zip top for exactly that purpose. It's so thin it doesn't add any warmth on a hot day but keeps me covered up. It has a bit of a collar that seems to cover the back of my neck pretty well. 

CantClimbTom 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Thin breathable/perforated running baseball cap, turn it backwards and push the peak down to shade the back of your neck, you might look like some failed rap wannabe but its functional. Thin ones can be worn underneath some climbing helmets too, depending on the combination...

Post edited at 17:31
 Pedro50 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Patagonia Airshed hooded top, 113g, only has a half zip but this is double ended for ventilation. SportShoes direct have all sizes currently for £69.99. Incredibly light and packable.

wildebeeste 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Search for hooded rashguards. Very thin, generally pretty cheap.

climbingpixie 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

You could try looking at running tops. I've got a fairly thin, hooded quarter-zip Ron Hill thing that's nice and breathable. 

phizz4 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

I've got one of these for sale for £30 posted, in red, size Medium. thin, stretchy but, unfortunately, just a little too small for me (6ft, 40 inch chest). Essentially unworn, just tried on. 

https://www.keller-sports.com/p/schoeffel-bieltal-fleece-jacket-OBESF09A000...

tjhare1 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

I’ve frequently used a bandana/kerchief. Better than a buff I find because the top free corner (having tied around neck) can be tucked easily up back of helmet and bottom free corner into top of your top.

GrahamD 11 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Personally I prefer an inexpensive bandana. I find a hood much more restrictive.

Harry Jarvis 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

The Montane Allez Micro might fit the bill: 

https://montane.com/products/montane-allez-micro-fleece-hoodie

It's very lightweight. 

midgen 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Mountain Equipment have the Glace designed of this purpose, but like the Rab, there's no zip.

oldie 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

I use a peaked baseball type hat with a "foreign legion kepi" type hanging piece to protect the neck and part of the sides. Can be worn under a helmet. I have the same problem with sunprotection  especially for the face and have been advised to be careful after having insitu melanomas removed. I find I only need to use suncream below eye level on my face. Inexpensive ones can be found for about £6 at some seaside shops, or you might adapt a baseball cap eg with hanky and nappy pins. When not wearing a helmet I fashion a chin strap for windy days. I need the front peak especially as I have nascent cataracts and often don't wear sunglasses.

Obviously not worn back to front as per CantClimbTom.  

druss 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

> I'm looking for a thin hooded top/baselayer with long sleeves for wearing on days when it's really sunny and I want to cover up the back of my neck and my arms. I could just use suncream, but I burn easily even with suncream and I often forget... Ideally want it to be really thin so it's not too hot and to have a zip (just chest ideally, but full would be ok) on the front for ventilation.

> Most of the hooded baselayers I know of are quite thick and/or don't have a front zip, because they're designed for winter!

> Thinking of wearing in places like the Verdon, Yosemite, sunny sport climbing destinations in Europe etc.

> Anyone got any ideas or alternative solutions? The best I've come up with is this from Rab, but I'd much rather it had a zip for ventilation on the front. https://rab.equipment/uk/force-hoody

For Yosemite I used Patagonia Sunshade Hoody and found it amazing protection with the sun beating down from dawn to dusk.  Wore the hood up all day over helmut and was absolutely fine too. 

Unfortunately Patagonia withdrew it after they found out the advertised UV factor protection was slightly lower than advertised.  I believe Black Diamond have an equivalent and wouldn't hesitate in getting it.  Both are baggy which is key to keeping "cooler" (see photo for how baggy the arms are).  Judging from the product photo, the Rab one is too tight and probably bit thick.

If you can't find the BD one, then shop around the fishing shops for sun protection gear.  

Post edited at 12:07

a crap climber 12 Sep 2022
In reply to LucaC:

Another vote for the Force from me.

It doesn't have a zip, but the fabric is so light that I've never desperately felt like it needs one.

OP Fellover 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Thanks for all the replies everyone. One thing I should have said in the OP is that I've already got a Rab Interval LS Tee, which I like and is basically the same as the Force but without the hood and with a zip. So basically I want the combination of the two, but sadly Rab don't make it.

I don't like to wear a Buff when it's hot, so that doesn't really work, but I will think about trying the bandana option. I don't generally like things close around my neck, especially in hot weather, which is another reason I'm keen to have a zip.

To run through some of the options suggested (sorry, this is just a written splurge of my confused thoughts as I try and decide):

Rab Borealis: Got one and like it, but too warm for what I'm thinking of and not that comfortable next to the skin.

BD Alpenglow: Similar to the Rab Force but a bit heavier (245g vs 164g) and better SPF (50+ vs 30), looks like a good option if I can get over the zip thing. Probably more durable than the Force given the extra weight, which is a bonus for chimneys and offwidths. Not done many of those wearing my Interval but I can imagine it getting destroyed fairly speedily.

Rab Pulse: Think this has been discontinued and basically replaced by the Force?

Baseball cap: Don't find them very comfortable under a helmet and they make my scalp hot and I'd probably end up dropping it. I'm just too fussy really.

Patagonia Airshed Pro: This looks like a good option, super light and fits the bill r.e. hood, long sleeves and zip (extra long one - nice). Not very breezy though, looks a bit tight fitting and I'm not sure it would be comfortable next to the skin given it's marketed as a wind proof. Anyone tried one of these and able to comment on the next to skin comfort?

Hooded rashguard: Too tight fitting I think, but good left field suggestion!

Ronhill/running top: Ronhill do something called a Seamless Life Hoodie which has hood, long sleeves and zip and looks like it would be comfy against the skin. However, it is quite heavy at 276g vs 164g for the Force, so worried it would be too hot. Also, no SPF rating, not sure how worried I am about this, but it's definitely a nice to have. Cheap compared to the other options, which is great.

Montane Allez Micro: Fits the bill perfectly (hood, zip, sleeves, light (175g)). Only problem is that it looks quite tight fitting, so won't be as cool as some of the other options of a similar weight (which is fair enough, it's designed as a winter base layer not a sun hoody). Also, no SPF rating, but again not sure how much I care about that.

Dangling fabric thing off back of cap/helmet: I should look into this as an option. I have to admit that I prefer the idea of a hoodie, but that is probably just some fashion prejudice. This is one more thing to remember/drop though, whereas I can't forget or drop the hood off a hoodie.

Patagonia Sunshade: Seems very similar to BD Alpenglow, a tad lighter, as pointed out is discontinued. Designed for exactly what I want it for - climbing in the sun. Maybe I should just give in and get the Alpenglow - if only it came with a zipped version!

In my searching I've found the OR Astroman Sun Hoodie (https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/collection/mens-astroman-sun-hoodie-2822...), which seems to be the best option so far. Hood, long sleeves, zip, pretty relaxed breezy fit, only 160g, SPF 50+. OR make regular shirts out of the same material, so is probably decent for next to skin comfort.

Also found the Mont Bell Cool Hoodie (https://euro.montbell.com/products/disp.php?p_id=2304144), which is a good option as well. Hood, sleeves, zip, 186g, but no SPF rating (estimated at SPF10 by a guy on reddit which isn't great).

IWBMATTKYT 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

If you want something like the BD alpenglow but with a zip I suggest the BD alpenglow pro - it has a zip

OR make a nice sun hoodie called the echo, but no zip. 

OP Fellover 12 Sep 2022
In reply to IWBMATTKYT:

> If you want something like the BD alpenglow but with a zip I suggest the BD alpenglow pro - it has a zip

Haha, can't believe I didn't see this. Seems quite different from the normal alpenglow though, not just a zip added, it's got different fabric composition, weight and treatments.

Indignancy 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

For a cheap option, Uniqlo do a full zip ‘airism’ UV hoodie - I have the women’s version and really like it when I’m in full sun, especially on multipitches where sunscreen won’t last all day, although the men’s looks like it might be different fabric. 

deruiter14 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Ive always used a patagonia tropic comfort hoodie which i love but i think it was designed for fishing. Colin haley has a blog post about the airshed which he rates quite highly.

rgold 12 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Don't know about UK availability, but this is exactly what you're asking for.  https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/collection/mens-astroman-sun-hoodie-2822...

murray 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

I've also been eyeing up the BD alpenglow pro for this trip, it's expensive for what it is though. Have you gone off your trademark collar up long sleeved shirt?!

OP Fellover 13 Sep 2022
In reply to rgold:

It is exactly what I'm asking for, managed to stumble across it while I was looking through all the suggestions above (buried at the bottom of my excessively long post). Unfortunately, as you seemed to suspect it's not very easy to get hold of in the UK.

My next trip is to America though, so I suppose I might be able to pick it up after arriving.

Post edited at 10:48
OP Fellover 13 Sep 2022
In reply to murray:

Yeah, seems very expensive for a thin hoodie.

I'm afraid the days of the formal shirt with upturned collar may be numbered! Does have unparalleled ventilation when you undo all the buttons though, not sure a sun hoodie can compete with that, or with the style points.

Hutson 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

I have a couple of things, being similarly pale and likely to burn.

I've got a sun protection hoody from Uniqlo but it's years old so I don't know if they still do them - a quick google would suggest they still do a range of UV protection clothing.

I've also got a long-sleeved lightweight shirt from Alpkit where I will turn the collar up if it's sunny. Apparently made of vaguely technical material.

Graeme G 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Super lightweight. Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for?

https://howies.co.uk/collections/mens-knits-sweats-hoodies

Harry Jarvis 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

> Super lightweight. Not sure if it’s what you’re looking for?

What's the weight of that? The weight given of 180gsm is the weight per square metre, so the total weight will be a bit more than 180g. 

Graeme G 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Dunno. The lightweight one is my go to summer hoodie. Really thin. Never weighed it.

Its currently on the washing line. I’ll weigh it when it’s dry.

Post edited at 13:07
 echo34 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

The new mountain equipment sun hoody is good. I forget the name but it’s in the lightweight section. Works well for alpine. Basically a long sleeve T-shirt with a hood, and the blue is a lovely shade.

Post edited at 13:41
 robr0712 13 Sep 2022
In reply to echo34:

I think it's the Glace? I have the Nava (same fabric, long sleeve zip tee but no hood) and have basically lived in it this summer - I'd imagine the Glace would be great for OP if they can live without the zip 

LastBoyScout 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Sport Pursuit have some Isobaa hooded merino tops on there that would exactly fit your spec.

Unfortunately, they weren't quite the right fit on me, which was annoying, because I really wanted one.

cwarby 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

https://alpkit.com/products/griffon-hoody-mens

Excellent value, I like slightly warmer gear, but another option.

OP Fellover 13 Sep 2022
In reply to robr0712:

I think the Glace might be discontinued? Seems to be out of stock everywhere and the page on the ME website seems to be broken.

ME do make a women's sun hoody, called the Font Hoody, but not a men's version as far as I can tell. I'd happily wear a women's version, but given it's got no zip I'd rather just go for a Rab Force if I can get over the no zip thing. There's absolutely loads of them out there with no zip, but much less choice with zip.

OP Fellover 13 Sep 2022
In reply to cwarby:

Yeah is decent value, but at over 300g it's more like a Patagonia R1 which I already have and is definitely too hot for the uses I'm thinking of.

OP Fellover 13 Sep 2022
In reply to climb the peak:

You're really trying to maximise my style points I see!

OP Fellover 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Jonathan Coatsworth:

Sorry, over 300g and no zip

OP Fellover 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

Thanks for this suggestion, 180gsm is lower than the BD Alpenglow, so right sort of ballpark, still a lot more than the 105gsm in the Force though. Cotton as well, which is different to all the other options and might be comfier, if less 'technical'.

OP Fellover 13 Sep 2022
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks - the Isobaa Zip Neck Hoodie does fit the spec, good find. I should've said in the OP I tend to find too high a % of merino quite itchy though and the fit looks like it's tight rather than breezy (fair enough, its designed as a baselayer).

Graeme G 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

340g. Although it may still be bit wet. TBH I’m not one to quibble over 160g in a hoody. You’re right it’s not technical, but it is lovely and soft. And wearable to the pub without shouting “look at me, I’m a climber”

OP Fellover 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Graeme G:

Thanks - bit too heavy in the end. Looking for something for really hot sunny days, so an extra 160g is quite a lot, to me anyway.

Graeme G 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

Aye. I wouldn’t call the weather in NE Scotland “really” hot. So probably not what your looking for.

LastBoyScout 13 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

> Thanks - the Isobaa Zip Neck Hoodie does fit the spec, good find. I should've said in the OP I tend to find too high a % of merino quite itchy though and the fit looks like it's tight rather than breezy (fair enough, its designed as a baselayer).

Just go up a size, then

TobyA 13 Sep 2022
In reply to cwarby:

The Griffons are great but they are a light fleece midlayer - I use mine for winter climbing mainly. I don't think it's what the OP is looking for at all.

gethin_allen 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

The RAB Boreas (not to be confused with the Borealis) would fit the bill if you could find one but I'm not sure they still make them.

One thing you could try is a simple handkerchief tucked in the back of your helmet to cover your neck. This is probably a lot cooler than a hooded top. It obviously doesn't cover the arms but I burn easily and find that my arms are easier to cover properly with suntan lotion and wash at the end of the day if you are doing multi day trips so it's only my neck and ears that suffer.

Inhambane 14 Sep 2022
In reply to Fellover:

I have the alpenglow pro and a regular. The pro is a different material/or weave it's lighter and more baggy. It has mesh pits for more venting, the chest pocket is useful but if you put a phone in it sags down alot. The pro works really well but you can look a bit baggy. 

Buff do light weight hats with a detachable neck flap and they fit well under helmets. If it's windy neck flaps are useless. 

Fjalraven used to do sun tops 

Post edited at 13:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...