Thermarest alternatives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 06 May 2019

So after 3 nights on a Thermarest Prolite, waking up in the night in pain and feeling like I have been run over in the morning has anybody got any suggestions for a reasonably comfortable inflatable full length mattress , would prefer under 300-400g as it will be used for mountain marathons, also needs to be fairly slim enough to fit in a TN Laser Comp with the Mrs and her kit !

DaveHK 06 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

The neoair models are much more comfortable. I have an xlite and it's great.

andyd1970 06 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Alpkit cloudbase

Mark Stevenson 06 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

In a word no.

However, provided you are willing to pay enough and carry over 400g the Thermarest Neoair X-therm or potentially the closest Exped equivalents (Downmat HL or Exped Synmat HL) will provide vastly more comfort. After switching to the X-therm about 4 years ago, I wouldn't use anything else, ever, regardless of how light or fast I was trying to go.

For the extra cost and weight you'll have a significantly warmer mat so the option exists to recoup some (or all?) of the additional weight through using a marginally lighter sleeping bag.

HTH

DaveHK 06 May 2019
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

> In a word no.

Neoair xlite is 350g and perfectly adequate for 3 season use. The Uberlite is 250g and although it's sold as 2 season I suspect it too would be fine as long as you weren't on very cold ground.

PPP 06 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> The neoair models are much more comfortable. I have an xlite and it's great.

Exactly, Prolite is 2.5cm thick whereas Neolite Xlite is 6cm. 

I can't remember which self-inflating Thermarest I had some years ago, but Neoair is much much better to sleep on. One issue is that it's rather loud when moving around. I stayed in a bothy recently and someone mentioned they could hear it downstairs! 

DaveHK 06 May 2019
In reply to PPP:

I think neoair is as big a comfort improvement over earlier thermarests as those were over a karrimat. As for the noise thing I wear earplugs anyway so I've never noticed it!

Post edited at 21:41
 girlymonkey 06 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have an excellent Sea to Summit one.

I think it's this one 

https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Sea_to_Summit_Small_Ultra_Light_Insulated_Mat/

Post edited at 21:46
 Pkrynicki1984 06 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

After spending years on a thermarest myself I’ve treated myself to the ME synthetic new Matt , total game changer ! It’s superb.... it’s a rebadged Exped too I’m told. 

Tigger 07 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'd say Exped for comfort but my Syn Mat 7 UL delaminated after less than 50 nights use causing two baffles to balloon into one. It seems to be a common issue. The Alpkit Cloudbase is pretty comfy though.

d_b 07 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

If you are willing to compromise on the full length requirement and be subjected to a certain amount of mockery the balloon bed is surprisingly effective and very light indeed.

I find mine extremely light and pretty comfortable although it is limited to summer use with a ground sheet. My attempt to get away with balloon bed + 2 season bag in winter conditions did not go well.

DaveHK 08 May 2019
In reply to d_b:

I find the BB surprisingly comfortable but not worth the effort for more than a single night on a mountain marathon. Also, I replace the foam pad in the back of my sack with my thermarest folded up. If I take the BB I need to leave that in and foam pad + BB is only about 150g lighter than full length thermarest. Quite content to carry that much extra for the comfort improvement.

Edit: however one shouldn't underestimate the morale boost a balloon bed can give to those around you as you blow it up and lower yourself onto it.

Post edited at 07:05
OP Dark-Cloud 08 May 2019
In reply to d_b:

Tried the ballon bed but the faff factor was just not worth it

Synmat looks good but a bit too heavy at 700g

Alpkit cloudbase might be a bit big as I looked at one in the shop a while back, Numo profile looked better, anybody tried one of them ?

The Neoairs looks good, they are a bit pricey but for a good nights sleep and being able to function the next morning it may be worth it !

Keep the suggestions coming...

Post edited at 07:26
 DaveHK 08 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I had a numo. The valve design is poor and it began to leak around the valve.

d_b 08 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I agree faff factor is significant enough to be a deal breaker when knackered. On the other hand, balloon animals!

Run_Ross_Run 08 May 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I have the alpkit cloudbase and have been surprised how comfy it is, prev had a prolite. 

I'd deffo consider it (not sure how tight space is in your tent tho) so it may not be suitable. 

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

The balloon bed didn't work out for me in the end but this thing seems a reasonable compromise;

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-mats-c58/all-...

Post edited at 09:59
OP Dark-Cloud 08 May 2019
In reply to featuresforfeet:

Yeah looks good, might be a bit cold though ?

On the same site having a browse the Synmat HL looks quite good value for the spec, anybody use one of those ?

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-mats-c58/ultr...

Post edited at 12:22
 Mark Stevenson 08 May 2019
In reply to Tigger:

> I'd say Exped for comfort but my Syn Mat 7 UL delaminated after less than 50 nights use causing two baffles to balloon into one. It seems to be a common issue. The Alpkit Cloudbase is pretty comfy though.

FWIW I got somewhere between 150-200 nights over 4 years out of my X-therm before it started leaking and looking slightly moldy. However I got a brand new warranty replacement from Thermarest, so in common with most peoples' experience, I can't fault their customer service.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...