The Ultimate New Hardshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MischaHY 15 Nov 2019

“Look, check this out! Our brand new elite durable lightweight hardshell for 2019.”

The rep gestures a caffeine-energised hand at a neon-yellow jacket displayed prominently on a glitzy mannequin that stands, frozen midstride, its hands bizarrely positioned on the hips like an extra in a Beyoncé music video. It bears a remarkable resemblance to a tailored recycling bag in a student fashion show.

Still, it’s apparently this brand’s star product. Better summon some enthusiasm.

“So, it’s got a new membrane…?”

The rep wiggles his eyebrows conspiratorially.

“Better. A classic Gore Tex Pro membrane, super lightweight and mega durable with new Thicc™ protection technology. Those shoulder pads have more deniers than you’ve had hot dinners.”

“Um – ok. What’s the intended range of use?”

“That’s the best part! Our new western-cut gives a roomy athletic fit for maximum range-of-motion, layerability and next-to-skin comfort, whether you’re conquering your latest alpine peak or sending gnarly powder lines on an all-time ski tour. An absolute steal at £799.99” 

The rep winks excruciatingly, indicating that he’s about to let me in on a big secret.

“Of course, it’s perfect for commuting in the city as well.”

Sigh.

I suspect for many of us this scene will be a familiar spectacle. The market-leading brands dazzle the media year with a confusing array of new waterproof jackets, and each year it gets more challenging to tell the difference between them. Every product is supposed to be the most durable, the lightest, the most breathable – despite the glaringly obvious fact that they all use broadly the same membrane technology and the fairly straightforward reality that if a jacket is light it won’t be as durable, and vice versa.

Anyone else wondering why hardshells costs more and more, year in, year out, for the exact same tech? 

Come on, change my mind. Who is doing the best R&D right now? 

Yours sincerely, a disillusioned outdoor industry employee.  

Coel Hellier 15 Nov 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

Well they're no longer allowed to sell Payment Protection Insurance, so they have to try to hype something! 

HeMa 15 Nov 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

> Come on, change my mind. Who is doing the best R&D right now? 

Mayby not the best, but for clothing Arc'Teryx has been quite good at what they bring out after quite extensive testing (e.g. the boots/shoes and the skiboot took afaik numerous years of testing before the final product came out). So perhaps not the most cutting edge stuff, but atleast the stuff they bring out has a good rep on being tested and up to the task sold to.

Mammut also seems to be making quite a bit of niche stuff, for quite specific uses (now talking about clothing).

nathan79 15 Nov 2019
In reply to HeMa:

I hope you don't mean this stuff

http://www.mammut.com/uk/en/cat/18070/delta-x/

geordiepie 15 Nov 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Jesus I'm beginning to hate what the outdoor industry has become.

Billhook 15 Nov 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

They do this 'hype' because lots of mountaineers, hillwalkers etc.,  fall for it !.

Ben Callard 15 Nov 2019
In reply to nathan79:

I'm speechless. My only hope is that they can sell this stuff for such a mark up that it subsidises things that I might want to buy.

OP MischaHY 15 Nov 2019
In reply to nathan79:

What the motherbleedin christ is that? Oh lord. 

In reply to MischaHY:

The rep winks excruciatingly, indicating that he’s about to let me in on a big secret.

“Of course, it’s perfect for commuting in the city as well.”

The Snow and Rock in Canary Wharf shut it's doors for the last time last week, so maybe wealthy commuters can see it's all a total rip off

cragtyke 15 Nov 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Urbaneering!

Sheer brilliance!

snoop6060 15 Nov 2019
In reply to nathan79:

> I hope you don't mean this stuff

I don't think I've ever seen anything more Swiss in my whole entire life.

RX-78 15 Nov 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

I quite fancy that 18L day pack, a snip at  only £220. Decathlon  watch out another quality budget competitor !

HeMa 15 Nov 2019
In reply to cragtyke:

Nah. Veilance

bouldery bits 15 Nov 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Pahahahaha! That's amazing. Someone must be buying it I guess?

plyometrics 15 Nov 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Thanks for the link. I’ve been searching long and hard for an anorak in which to dazzle for some time now. 

artif 15 Nov 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

Try one of these, a snip at £7.5k

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49794403

bouldery bits 16 Nov 2019
In reply to artif:

I think I'm old.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...