Terra Nova tent leaking groundsheet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 21 Aug 2021
Thread moved from Running to Gear

I have a Terra Nova Laser tent I mostly use for mountain marathons, I’ve had it about 7-8 years and the groundsheet leaks when we pitch it somewhere wet.

As far as I know it’s always done this, however I’ve just spoken to my friend and he says his doesn’t.

Is it normal for a Terra Nova tent to leak through the floor? Any idea how I can fix it? We had puddles in there this morning and we were pitched on reasonably ground, however it did rain overnight.

SouthernSteve 21 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

We have a couple of TN tents, a big one and a wee one. Neither leak, but I nearly always use a footprint for both. We have pitched in some right bogs on occasions. I know TN get a bit of a bad press on here every now and again, but we have not had problems. 

Guy Hurst 21 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

I've got a TN Laser Comp and an Ultra Quasar (discontinued lightweight version of the Quasar) which have been in fairly regular use for 10 years or more. Neither leaks through the floor, or anywhere else they shouldn't.

With the Laser Comp I often use a Tyvek groundsheet when I know I'll be pitching somewhere with puncture potential, but I've never bothered doing that with the Ultra Quasar.

Such a DIY groundsheet will help keep water out to some extent. They're cheap and easy to make and weigh very little, but probably more than you'd want to carry on a mountain marathon. Have you contacted TN? They mioght be willing to help, or not.

OP ablackett 21 Aug 2021
In reply to Guy Hurst:

I’ve not contacted TN, will do. I assumed they wouldn’t be interested as it’s not a recent purchase.

Myr 21 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

Scottish Mountain Gear recently replaced the groundsheet on my Vaude tent. First class repair job and no more leaks. Might be an option for you if you just want it sorted? 

However, the fabric they used for the groundsheet was a touch more heavy duty than on the original. I'm totally happy with that but if it might make a bit of a difference for you for keeping the weight down on MMs. Perhaps they also offer more lightweight groundsheet fabrics, I don't know.

https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service/tent-repairs

NathanP 21 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

No it isn't normal. My Voyager groundsheet is getting a bit porous but not to the stage of having puddles and I have had it for 35 years. 

Are there any obvious holes or delaminated areas on either side? If so, maybe giving them a good scrub to get off any other badly adhered coatings then a generous application of seam seal?

Andypeak 21 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

In my experience the best course of action is to get the ground sheet replaced. Footprints works to an extent but if the ground is quite wet they will still allow water to get through. 

OP ablackett 22 Aug 2021
In reply to Andypeak:

Cheers, have contacted TN, will see what they say.

Dave B 23 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

Had our quasar groundsheet replaced about 20 years ago by TN. heavier weight one then the original. still waterproof.. Though the upper tent is starting to suffer now...

It was quite expensive, but worth it for us at the time. 

Post edited at 07:31
 MJH 23 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

I had a TN Laser Comp used for similar purposes and the groundsheet on that failed.  I contacted TN who said it was essentially normal for a LW tent (despite the fact it hadn't actually been used for that many nights).  TN's lifetime guarantee didn't cover it as they said it wasn't a defect but they did offer me a discount on a new tent. I went elsewhere. 

gimmer 23 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

I have a Superlight Voyager and yes if you pitch it on wet ground and apply pressure to the groundsheet (like kneeling), some moisture comes through.  I just put this down to the lightweight fabric used in the groundsheet.  If not on a weight weenies trip I take a footprint anyway which solves the issue.

Conversely I also have a standard weight Quasar, one of the last ones to be made in the UK, the groundsheet is much thicker and it has never leaked.  I think it'll still be going strong when I'm 100 years old!

OP ablackett 25 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

Not impressed with the response from Terra Nova, I said,

"As far as I can remember the groundsheet has always leaked, however, out of the 40-50 nights i've used it it's only rained a couple of times so i'm really not sure when the problem developed. I used it this weekend and in moderate rain, pitched on well drained land it ended up with puddles in the tent which had come through the ground sheet."

They said,

"I would suggest the best option would be to replace the groundsheet rather than put patches onto holes. The approx. cost for this will be £200"

It looks to me like they haven't even read my email properly, it's leaking through the groundsheet, not through holes in the groundsheet, £200 repair on a £379 tent seems to me to be priced at a level to make it not worth the bother.

https://www.scottishmountaingear.com will replace the sheet with a slightly heavier duty one for £89 so i'm going to go with that.  Thanks for the advice.

kevin stephens 25 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

for a light weight tent designed for mountain marathons I would be pleased with 7-8 years.  I would be more upset if a 4 season mountain tent let in water after 7-8 years.

Moacs 26 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

I washed the groundsheet on mine and then sprayed insode and out with waterproof laquer.  It's held up well.

Don't sit inside whilst spraying!

GraB 26 Aug 2021
In reply to ablackett:

Unfortunately that sort of response from TN is in line with my own experience of them. And reason enough to never be willing to get another tent from them. They were extremely rude, unhelpful and just plain wrong in their conclusions when I had the displeasure of dealing with them about a much younger tent than yours.

Anyway, if you've already gone for the SMG option then you'll not need me to suggest treating the underside of the groundsheet with Fabsil Gold silicone treatment. This has worked very well for me in the past on 2 or 3 tents that started developing similar problems to yours. And has lasted very well too.

Post edited at 11:35
 gravy 01 Sep 2021
In reply to ablackett:

My terranove ultra quasar would seep on the ground but was fixed using grangers gold fabsil

robsykes1975 01 Sep 2021
In reply to ablackett:

hi there

the guys at alpkit hathersage operate a kit repair service (i'm guessing they offer this at their other stores?) i've used them for toggle replacements and the like.  always found them to be a friendly bunch.  i appreciate that this is a more significant issue than their usual request of replacing a zip etc but it may be worth asking.  either way, hope you get it sorted.

Toby_W 02 Sep 2021
In reply to ablackett: Well at least you got a response, I have an ultra quasar and their service had always been fantastic along with the tent.  Got the bigger 4 man one about ten years ago now and it is great but every single bit of seam tape has un-pealed ( only a year or two after buying and very, very light use) and they have not responded to a single email.  Really sad but after a messy time with seam grip I found you can buy seam sealing tape so hopefully sorted.

Cheers

Toby

Post edited at 07:21
 Chris M 02 Sep 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Similar experience with TN. Leaking groundsheet and they completely fobbed me off in an abrupt email.

Very disappointed.

OP ablackett 02 Sep 2021
In reply to GraB:

> Anyway, if you've already gone for the SMG option then you'll not need me to suggest treating the underside of the groundsheet with Fabsil Gold silicone treatment. This has worked very well for me in the past on 2 or 3 tents that started developing similar problems to yours. And has lasted very well too.

I have some Fabsil Gold, so will try this, many thanks.

Dave the Rave 02 Sep 2021
In reply to ablackett:

My solar 2 groundsheet started to leak after about 15 years, so I gave it a few coats of fabsil gold and it’s waterproof to this day.

JimbotheScot 02 Sep 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

It took all my old tape off and sealed mine outside only with 50/50 white spirit and clear silicone using the tarptent method and been fine

youtube.com/watch?v=BDLVCXRTHKU&

Toby_W 18 Sep 2021
In reply to JimbotheScot:

I missed your post and have just seen it.  Got some iron on seam tape but this looks even better.

Thank you so much for posting.

Toby

Gerry 18 Sep 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

I had too the seam tape fall off my Terra Nova tent a few years ago after very little use, but after a period of just over a year from purchase. Lifetime guarantee? Ho ho! All Terranova could manage was a tube of seam seal. These are not cheap tents and most people would expect years of use without problems. Anyway, I put them on my 'never again' list and will not buy anything else of theirs, ever. It's a very short list, which tells you that almost everything I've ever purchased has been pretty good, just so you know I'm not a serial complainer.

ScraggyGoat 19 Sep 2021
In reply to Chris M:

I replaced one of my tents last year after many years of service, Terra Novas reputation meant I did not even consider them.

If your ground sheets leak from the start, poles breaking from new (and not covered by warranty; see other threads) and your customer responses are pathetic, then the company doesn’t deserve trade.

ianstevens 19 Sep 2021
In reply to ablackett:

Had similar with a quasar (c 10 years old). Sprayed the groundsheet with fabsil a couple of years ago and it hasn’t leaked since.

druridge 22 Sep 2021
In reply to ablackett:

Overall TN hasn't come out of this very well!

In reply to ablackett:

Eek. I have a Voyager, which Ive had for about 10 years. I hope it doesn't spring a leak.

OP ablackett 22 Sep 2021
In reply to druridge:

Quite, I had no idea they had a poor reputation for custom service when I started this thread. I just thought that with super light tents a bit of a leaky floor was to be expected.

I responded to their message which offered to repair my text for £200.

I said that I was disappointed they didn’t apologise or say this wouldn’t be expected after 40-50 nights use, I pointed out I would expect better customer service but didn’t even receive a response.

Perhaps I’m asking too much but today I contacted a water bottle company Klean Kanteen, about a missing valve from a bottle and they stuck one in the post for free. That’s good service!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...