Terra Nova Southern Cross or Hilleberg Soulo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 21 Sep 2021

For extended sea kayaking trips and winter backpacking. Any comments, experience or recommendations? Thanks

Phil1919 21 Sep 2021
In reply to kevin stephens:

Have Terra Nova poles stopped breaking? Otherwise, I'd go for Hilleberg.

DaveHK 21 Sep 2021

If you can afford the Hilleberg, get the Hilleberg.

Jon Read 21 Sep 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

Not to mention the groundsheet....

johnt 21 Sep 2021
In reply to Jon Read:

And the so-called 'Lifetime Guarantee'....

I’m well aware of reported problems with Terra Nova in general, also Terra Nova appears  to make some tents abroad and some in the UK with corresponding quality differences. I’m also aware of the great reverence on UKC for Hilleberg .  I’m really after comments related specifically to the two tents I referred to. Thanks

Post edited at 18:39
 Jon Read 21 Sep 2021

Sorry, sir!

However, as you're looking at the higher echelon of the solo tent market, sample size is likely to be small, and people here in a position to comment objectively on both models likely zero, youre going to have to widen your panel of opinion, I think. 

What is it about these 2 models that fit your criteria? 

In reply to Jon Read:  

Im looking for a compact (when packed), reasonably light one person tent that is reliable, durable and easy to pitch in poor weather. I’m interested in comments on what they are like to live in and live with 

Dr.S at work 21 Sep 2021

I guess then also worth considering the light wave sigma tents (s10 and 15)

and trekker tent Saor 

All three models I’ve got my eye on

Jon Read 21 Sep 2021

Do you need free standing? 

In reply to Jon Read:

> Do you need free standing? 

Yes 

ScraggyGoat 21 Sep 2021

I have no direct personal experience, but have noted several Soulo users have upgraded the crossing pole from 9mm to 10mm….which makes you wonder if it has a weak ‘side’.  But I can’t see the southern cross being any better. Both seam to rely on guys more, or as much as distributed pole crossings for strength. I’ve seen the similar wish bone pole structure design on MSRs similar to Southern Cross break regularly, which may or may not be a consideration.

I had a mountaineering dome with roof vents and they made a huge difference to condensation, particularly once the base of the tent got snowed up, so would on that basis would probably go for the soulo. If weight isn’t a huge issue

Hillebergs generally are loud in wind,  but have no knowledge of the Southern Cross.

Both might be a bit small for fighting off a dry suit and wet kayak kit. Some paddlers have moved from the soulo to the Allak for that reason. Twin hooped hillebergs seam increasingly popular with paddlers, put they are very loud in wind. 

Post edited at 23:26
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

thanks that’s helpful. The main use will be sea kayaking so sitting out a day or so of wet and windy weather will be more important most of the time rather than dealing with snow. The Soulo is obviously a better tent and more desirable in many ways. I would get one if I thought the extra cost would be justified.

Weight is not as big an issue as pack size as I have a rather small Rockpool Isel kayak, for this reason not to mention lower cost and being more readily available I’m leaning towards compromising on the Southern Cross at the risk of possibly poorer customer service/reliability. Further comments are useful in helping me to decide .

Interesting comments on the hooped Hilleberg  options and more space. I’m quite short so this may not be such a problem. Previously I’ve used a 2 person geodesic mountain tent when with my other half, but she now prefers  day trips from a luxury campervan, hence the search for a solo tent for expeditions

Post edited at 23:38
 TMM 22 Sep 2021

Have you considered the Tarptent Scarp? Can be burly and freestanding when you want it to and also lightweight when you leave the crossing poles at home. Very flexible, well made and cheaper than either of the suggested options.

cb294 23 Sep 2021

For kayaking I would always opt for a free standing 2 person tent over a solo tent. Especially when sitting out shit weather the option of having your bags inside and still have space to move is invaluable. The few 100g of extra weight matter less when kayaking compared to hiking. Also, not having to rely on any guy lines if necessary is great for pitching up quickly on the next rocky little island if the weather suddenly turns shit.

My choice would therefore be a Hilleberg Staika, possibly second hand, but then I am a fully signed up Hilleberg gear slut....

CB

OwenM 23 Sep 2021
In reply to cb294:

> My choice would therefore be a Hilleberg Staika, possibly second hand, but then I am a fully signed up Hilleberg gear slut....

> CB

Really!! That would cost more than I paid for my kayak, any light-ish tent will do. A compact size when packed is more useful than something Ultralight. 

In reply to cb294:

> For kayaking I would always opt for a free standing 2 person tent over a solo tent. Especially when sitting out shit weather the option of having your bags inside and still have space to move is invaluable. The few 100g of extra weight matter less when kayaking compared to hiking. Also, not having to rely on any guy lines if necessary is great for pitching up quickly on the next rocky little island if the weather suddenly turns shit.

Thanks , yes I’m beginning to appreciate this. Compact packed size (rather than weight) is important to me due to limited cargo space in my Rockpool Isel.

Hilleberg don’t publish the packed size of their tents and they seem to be loosely bagged in the pitching demo videos. My North Face Mountain 25 (cheap Quasar copy) is too bulky

Post edited at 12:28
 GraB 23 Sep 2021
In reply to cb294:

Ditto. No experience of the Hilleberg, but I've never ever felt the need to take a 1 man tent in over 20 years sea kayaking.. I'd loose the volume in just about every other area but no way would I sacrifice tent space. I always take a 2 man / 2 hoop tent on solo trips, which probably accounts for about half of my paddling. Current boat is a small volume expedition boat but does have a little more space than the Isel.  That said, I don't think I've ever really been short of hatch space.

Post edited at 13:23
cb294 23 Sep 2021

Yes Hilleberg tents are indeed rather loosely packed. However, this guarantees that you can actually fit them into their stuff sack in a storm, with wet sheets, and wearing mitts. If you really need small you can always chuck the whole packed mess into a compression sack, e.g. one of the Ortlieb ones with the air valve near the bottom. Seal at top: compress to the desired size and shape, close the air valve, and you are set!

CB

edit: you could obviously try and shrink your TNF tent in the same way.....

Post edited at 14:12
cb294 23 Sep 2021
In reply to OwenM:

On my last kayak trip with my son (in the Aland islands) we took a Hilleberg Tarra, which is semi self supporting, i.e. the main body of the tent stands freely by itself but you need to peg down the apsids to stop them from flapping around.

That worked OK and simply was the tent I had at hand, but if I had a fully free choice of tent for shit weather kayak touring I would take something like the Staika which is properly free standing and can withstand reasonably strong winds even without any guy lines or pegs.

Pack size is less of an issue for me as my boat is a Triton Vector 2 two person folding kayak (>6m long, the same boat as the Nortik Argo, which is also built for Nortik by Triton and sold as a Triton boat for the ex USSR market).

CB

cb294 23 Sep 2021
In reply to OwenM:

Forgot to mention, the Staika is not even closely "ultralight", more like nuclear bunker stable...

CB

In reply to cb294 and all

Many thanks all for the very helpful feedback on this thread. As UKC already has cycling and skiing forums maybe we should ask if we can have a sea kayaking forum? There seem to be enough of us.

I now absolutely take the point that a larger tent is very useful with lots of gear and the prospect of having to sit out a day or two when it’s too wet and windy to paddle. I’m looking at a potential 10 day tour next summer hence the concern over space competing for food and also a few days’ water. I’ve reappraisal my North Face mountain tent and decided to stick with it for the time being. Some of the £1k saved on Hilleberg bling can go to extra compact food and other gear.

Thanks again 

OwenM 23 Sep 2021

I used to use a Wintergear Blizzard, which was a pre-Wild Country Quasar. I would pack the fly and inner separately - I used an old tent bag for the fly. I rolled them up so they were very long and thin then slid them either side of the skeg box ( do Rockpool have skegs?) the poles and pegs went along the keel in front of the skeg. 

I've used the Blizzard, a Macpac Microlite, and a Vaude Hogan successfully. These days I use a Trekkertent Phreeranger enough space for an old man.      

In reply to OwenM:

Thanks that’s a good tip, yes Rockpool’s have skeg boxes

GraB 24 Sep 2021

If you need any inspiration for what you can pack into a 270 litre boat for a long trip (i.e. an Isel) then look up Morley and Wilson's Roof of Scotland trip from the late 90's. Clearly gear was nowhere near as light and advanced as it is today and yet they were paddling Kirton Inuks (270 litres) with enough food and fuel and other kit for 14 days. I think they did it in 11 (an average of 60km+ / day - ouch!!). OK, so they had some sort of DIY deck "bag", but if they can manage with the relatively heavy (c.f today) gear from 20+ years ago in an Inuk, then an Isel really shouldn't have too much problem.

Post edited at 09:03

If you can put up with the faff of moving the Rockpool footplate you might also be able to make use of that cockpit space.  I’ve been able to carry a three person tent in front of the foot pegs of a low volume boat that had limited hatch space, and with nice thick dry bags like Sealine or Immersion Research not had any problems with water ingress.

In reply to Andy Macpherson:

Yep, I sometimes put a bulk water container behind the footplate, which also has the benefit of less volume to pump out of a wet exit is required 

ScraggyGoat 24 Sep 2021

Blimey that could seriously affect the trim.  I put several packets of crisps behind mine…..

In reply to ScraggyGoat:have to put the water somewhere and close to centre of gravity helps, I always do a quick trim check when setting off and if necessary repack. I’ve also put  bag with all me expedition food pouches there instead. The Rockpool foot plate gives a great secure storage compartment if you have short legs like mine, just a faff to remove and refit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...